Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-10 11:43:32

luca-deltodesco

induction quick please :P

ive got exam tomorrow so hopefully ill get an answer before then ^^

prove by induction:

prove that

i worked it like this:

i always get confused with induction whether im doing it the right way or not. is this correct?

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#2 2008-01-10 13:04:56

Ricky

Re: induction quick please :P

That's right, just make sure that you are explicit with the base case, inductive hypothesis, and conclusion.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-01-10 19:33:31

luca-deltodesco

ok thanks. And yeh actually i forgot to explicitily show the base case for A[sub]0[/sub] tongue

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#4 2008-01-11 08:21:47

Ricky

In higher level classes where you use induction rather than being tested on it, it's very typical to prove what you need to and then just say, "and proceed by induction."  No base case or hypothesis.  But most teachers/professors want to see everything very explicit when you are first learning it.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer