Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun. Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °
You are not logged in.
IIT Question Bank IV
Questions from previous years IIT Joint Entrance Examination (Indian Institute of Technology)
4. Find the condition that the lines ax+by+c=0, bx+cy+a=0, and cx+ay+b=0 are concurrent.
5. A rectangle PQRS has its side PQ parallel to the line y=mx and vertices P, Q, and S on the lines y=a, x=b, and x=-b respectively. Find the locus of the vertex R.
6. Show that the locus of a point that divides a chord of slope 2 of the parabola y²=4x internally in the ratio 1:2 is a parabola. Find the vertex of this parabola.
7. Through the vertex O of a parabola y²=4x, chords OP and OQ are drawn at right angles to one another. Show that for all positions of P, PQ cuts the axis of the parabola at a fixed point. Also find the locus of the middle point of PQ.
8. A variable straight line of slope 4 intersects the hyperbola xy=1 at two points. Find the locus of the point which divides the line segment between these two points in the ratio 1:2.
Character is who you are when no one is looking.