Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-27 14:37:26

Nineteen80Eight

System

Hello my name is Luke , This may seem random but i need your help as im a hardcore Horse Racing fan and need to come up with a rating tool to rate horse's so it can sort the average horses from the good ones and I have been coming up with all sorts of calculations consisting of the following things ;

Speed of the race
Class of race
Distance of the race
The ground conditions
the lengths between 1st and last and the number of runners

I come up with a rating system for about a week or 2 but was very inconsistant but theres systems such as speed ratings but i want to come up with something more unique with your help , Heres my system i came up with ;

Lingfield 2.10 24  October 2007

Racing Ahead Weekend Newspaper Claiming Stakes (Class 6) (2yo)    10f

14 runners

TIME 2m 8.87s

1.Get the distance of the race for example 10 Furlongs
2.Divide the distance by the time of the race for example (2 minutes 8 seconds which will be 128 seconds)
3, 10 / 128 = 0.078
4. Then times you number from step 3 by 1000
5. You should have 78.1 , look at the rating list ;

Class 1 - 12
Class 2 - 10
Class 3 - 8
Class 4 - 6
Class 5 - 4
Class 6 - 2

and the race was a class 6 so add 3 onto your result and you should have a final rating of 81.1

6. Add up all the distance's of the horse's that finished behind the winner and you should have a number 32.75 Lengths
7. take your number from step 6 and divide by the amount of runners and you should get 2.3 and put that onto your rating from step 5.
8. Rosey Dawn should be rated 83.3

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/past_results.sd?r_date=2007-10-24&crs=LIN

Theres a link to the race and click 2.40 to see everything .

If you could manage to help me come up with something it would be exellent ,

I hope to see many replies thank you

Board footer