Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-25 13:58:15

LuisRodg
Real Member

Becoming a Mathematician...

Hello guys, I just have a question that kind of bothers me and I want to know what you guys think about it and what do you have to tell me?

Heres the issue: I am currently a freshman in some university in Miami. I am also a math major. I am currently taking Calculus I and I have the highest grade on the class and truly love the subject. Math has always been my favorite subject in High School which was the reason for which I decided to be a math major. As of right now Im really happy with my decision but the only thing that bothers me is the fact that im always being told of how hard it is to be a math major and how i am going to drop out...This is said to me in person as well as other message boards.

Most of the time the comments come like "You might be good at Calculus and like math but when you hit Real Analysis then your going to really hate math and your going to drop it. Upper level math is not the same, its not even similar".

You get the point...Now, is this true? Its like, I dont feel I could do any other major, it feels that math is the only one which Im gonna be able to do because its the only subject I love and I would truly hate studying something which I dont like deep inside.

Basically, I feel that a math major is the only thing I could in my life and then some people tell me that its practically impossible to do and im gonna have to drop it. Somehow that angers me...What is input in this issue?

#2 2007-10-25 16:27:41

bossk171

Re: Becoming a Mathematician...

People will always tell you you're wrong. Sometimes they're right, sometimes there not.

I suggest you take down the names and numbers of everyone who told you you'd fail, that way when you graduate with a math major you can call all of them and say something like, "Told you so."

You may in fact hate it, you may not. Just do it, and if you're not happy, switch majors.

Last edited by bossk171 (2007-10-25 16:27:52)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#3 2007-10-25 17:43:12

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Do what you love. Easy as that.

And you are not expected to love ALL branches of math ... but you may have to pass some subjects you don't like in order to get your degree.

Or you may change courses and bring some amazing calculus skills to a new subject.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2007-10-25 20:57:06

Khushboo

Hi

I strongly believe in power of passion. The case in discussion is your passion for a subject and the the translation of liking for the subject. Listen to what your heart, mind and body says. If the answer is yes then follow it accordingly. People have their opinion and it is difficult  to always abide by what they are saying. You need to assess and evaluate yourself. A subject has "n" no. of topics, each topic will have sub topics...to develop liking for all the sub topics so on and so forth is difficult. So remember master the area you like and do well in other areas, so that your scoring at the end of the year averages out.

Regards

Khushboo

#5 2007-10-26 00:43:12

LuisRodg
Real Member

Thanks guys.

Following what you guys said, my body and mind tells me I desire to be a Mathematician, I have never had a doubt about it except for this very issue that I decided to make this topic.

So like you guys said, keep going and see how it goes. Up to now it's been great.

Btw, I just received my second test grade on Calculus and I scored a 100% ! Only A in the whole class. Im so excited. Class average was a 41.75 so you can figure how the badly other people did...

Anyways, why is Real Analysis always talked about as the defining point of hard math. For example, I have heard that Real Analysis is the class that lets you know if your able to be a Mathematician or not. Does this class deserve so much credit? Dont know if you get my question.

Well guys, thanks a lot/.

#6 2007-10-26 15:13:01

Ricky

What you have to realize is that mathematicians don't do calculus, at least in the sense of freshman/sophomore calculus.  If you really enjoy calculus, you might want to consider physics or engineering.  The great thing about math is that if you decide it isn't for you, it isn't too difficult to switch into either of these majors anyways.  They require the calculus that you will be taking as you pursue a math degree.

Unlike math in a freshman/sophmore calculus course pure mathematics (real mathematics...) requires creativity.  While parts of pure mathematics do have methods, most don't.  For example, you're taught methods for differentiation.  Imagine if you were just given the basic definition and told to find the derivative of some function.  This is about as close an analogy I can make to a pure math course.  But there is also a disconnect between applied (calculus) and pure mathematics.  Pure mathematics isn't about finding a number, like calculus is.  It's about finding an idea.

And there lies the problem.  It's that disconnect that screws most people.  All basic mathematics is applied, and no one is ever taught pure, or even that pure mathematics exists.  So what you get is so many people liking calculus thinking that they will be able to go after a degree in math, just to have mathematics completely switch upside down on them.  It isn't that it's hard.  It is hard, but that's not the reason why so many people drop out.  It's that the major does a complete switch midway through, and some people just aren't cut out for it.  It drags, and it's one reason why a goal of mine is to get some sort of pure mathematics taught at a high school level (I believe it can be done).

My advice is to continue in math and see what happens.  Like I said, switching into engineering or physics wouldn't be very hard to do if you find you can't handle the courses later down the road.

Anyways, why is Real Analysis always talked about as the defining point of hard math. For example, I have heard that Real Analysis is the class that lets you know if your able to be a Mathematician or not. Does this class deserve so much credit? Dont know if you get my question.

Absolutely not.  I am no where near as skilled in analysis as I am in algebra.  Similarly, my ability in combinatorics vastly outweighs my performance in number theory.  That being said, I was still able to ace all four of the courses I mentioned, but that is the general feeling I get.  However, the point is that just because you are not great at one type of math does not mean you can't do the others.  The only reason I see why real analysis is picked is because it's the only course that engineers would even have a shot at understanding.  That is, it's the only course that is anything like calculus, which is just about the only type of mathematics an engineer learns.  In that sense, it is a great way to determine if you are a mathematician or engineer.

However, you should be taking a proofs course before it.  This is a much better way of determining if you are a mathematician or not.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#7 2008-10-24 19:01:23

improper_integral

Stop bragging about how well you are doing because that's what will get you in trouble.  You're not a genius.  Passion is the key.  And stop comparing yourself to other people because that will also get you in trouble.  And a freshman calc course is nothing to get a swelled head about.

#8 2008-10-26 06:51:30

improper_integral

Sorry about that last remark.  I was more than a little upset at some of the people I know who are math majors but don't have passion for the subject, but not everyone has passion now that I think about it.  I'm a girl and it just saddens me to see other girls at my university who are into math but hate the math classes because I want to go really far in mathematics.  I want to discover new things.

#9 2008-10-26 12:19:15

LuisRodg
Real Member

Its ok.

I had forgotten I made this thread a year ago. Thanks for reviving it!

So here I am a year later, im still on my journey of being a math major and up to now I havent encountered any roadblock. I finished all the Calc1, Calc2, Calc3, Discrete Mathematics and Linear Algebra. Im currently taking Introduction to Advanced Mathematics, Differential Equations and Mathematical Modeling.

Next semester im taking Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra and Axiomatic Set Theory. As well as 2 other classes for my CS minor. Lets see how that goes. One thing that Im really happy though, is that I have lost the fear I had.

Thanks.

Last edited by LuisRodg (2008-10-27 05:57:46)

#10 2008-10-26 12:25:36

MathsIsFun
Administrator

That is really good to hear, Luis.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#11 2008-10-26 21:00:58

Ricky

What books are you using for analysis and algebra?  Axiomatic set theory is a lot of fun, but then again, I've always been a sucker for the abstract.  Is your set theory class in the math department or the philosophy department?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#12 2008-10-27 05:56:21

LuisRodg
Real Member

The class Axiomatic Set Theory is actually part of the Math Department, do some universities teach it within the Philosophy Department? I was surprised to hear your question since I never heard that. For the class we are going to be using:

Introduction to Set Theory (3rd edition) by Karel Hrbacek & Thomas Jech
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Revised-Expanded-Applied-Mathematics/dp/0824779150/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225129736&sr=8-1

For algebra we going to be using:

“Advanced Modern Algebra” by J. Rotman
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Modern-Algebra-Joseph-Rotman/dp/0130878685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225130025&sr=1-1

and for analysis:

Real Analysis by John M. Howie.

Have any opinion on this books?

Last edited by LuisRodg (2008-10-29 06:13:07)

#13 2008-11-07 18:33:57

improper_integral4

I'm actually the same person as before but I'm too tired to remember my passoword.

That's really good to hear.  I'm going to be taking linear algebra and differential equations next semester.  I'm so glad you responded. It's great to talk to other math majors.  My name is Sarah.  I'm so tired now but I will message again sometime.

#14 2010-04-01 07:27:14

Mathemat

Hello Sarah, which university you're attending? GHm. In which grade you are? Maybe you could give your e-mail address?

#15 2011-02-10 15:47:19

Proofing

After Diffe Q and Linear you start getting into proofing, which like people told Luis is very different from calc... its not impossible its just there are no set algorithms to follow that will lead you to the answer.  It is fun because its a whole new type of puzzle, i found calc to be pretty easy and Diffe Q is pretty much the same, wish we would have touched PDE's instead of waiting until senior year to introduce this.

#16 2011-02-13 10:06:40

LuisRodg
Real Member

Wow! My post from 4 years ago!

Well, don't know what to say, other than I ended up graduating with a math major and a minor in computer science :-)

I'm now a masters student in math.

Time passes incredibly fast, and you cannot let obstacles get in the way of your dreams. That is what I have learned...

#17 2011-02-13 10:31:51

Bob
Administrator

hi LuisRodg

That's great news, well done.  smile:)

And a good example of why you were right to follow your dreams.  May others learn from this!

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-02-13 10:32:29)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#18 2011-02-15 22:28:10

betterthangauss1

Nice! That was a heck of a leap of faith going into Analysis, Algebra, and Set Theory all at the same time, lol. Analysis, algebra, and algebraic topology are where the math degree starts really getting fun, though multivariable calc was a really good teaser with all the study of surfaces.

#19 2011-02-15 22:37:38

betterthangauss1

That's awesome to get some CS work in too; there is so much interesting math in algorithms and data structures that really sharpen ones skills with induction, estimation, combinatorics, probability, and stats.

#20 2011-02-23 03:17:59

LuisRodg
Real Member

Yes I took algebraic topology and algebraic geometry as well.

#21 2011-02-23 10:30:24

Identity

Congratulations Luis :]

Analysis hit me like a bag of bricks... but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it

#22 2011-10-19 21:16:45

TL11

Congratulations Luis (B Matrix / Cohiba ),

This is your old friend Taylor, I hope you someday read this message and email me

[email address removed by moderator]

It is very impressive that so many years ago you spoke to me about getting your math degree and computer science minor.

Congratulations!

#23 2011-10-19 22:18:02

bobbym
bumpkin

TL11;

My instincts say that you are either a spammer or a scammer. Checking, you have appeared on at least 3 lists. I have removed the email address you have provided for his safety. If you really are a friend of Luis, then he can contact me to get it.

If I am wrong then I apologize, but in the meantime I will not allow you to use this forum for email scams.

Hi LuisRodg;

Please ask me for the address if it is legitmate and not an attempt to scam you.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#24 2012-01-15 21:12:21

TL11

bobbym wrote:

TL11;

My instincts say that you are either a spammer or a scammer. Checking, you have appeared on at least 3 lists. I have removed the email address you have provided for his safety. If you really are a friend of Luis, then he can contact me to get it.

If I am wrong then I apologize, but in the meantime I will not allow you to use this forum for email scams.

Hi LuisRodg;

Please ask me for the address if it is legitmate and not an attempt to scam you.

No problem mate, I understand your concern and cannot blame you for believing I may be attempting a scam.

I'm not trying to scam anyone. I knew Luis back in the day (circa 2003-2006) but have since lost contact with him. I remember him telling me about this forum and when I looked at his 'recent post' history, I saw that he has frequented on here within the past few months. That is why I dropped him a line, with my email, in hopes that he would contact me.

Sadly, I have not received an email from him. I do not think he has contacted you for my email, correct?

Thanks anyways though, and props to you for keeping the safety of the members within this forum at a premium.

up

#25 2012-01-15 21:26:17

bobbym
bumpkin

I am sorry but he has not contacted me at all because he has not been in the forum since then.

Your second query helps convince me that you are legitimately looking for him and not attempting something ugly. I will contact him as soon as he enters this forum and supply him with your email address. He then can do what he thinks is best with it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer