Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-25 01:45:58

wing

can someone break this down so i can understand it?

i got an assignment and i cant seem to figure this out.  i think the "double size" really confuses me.

ATLANTIC CANDY

Tom always loved the salt water taffy his parents bought while on summer vacation at the beach. His memories probably had something to do with his accepting a job with the Atlantic Candy Company as a marketing manager. Among other things, his new job involved assessing the mix of flavors in a box of taffy. He remembers saving the orange and green with red pieces for last because they were his favorites; however the company has recent market research that shows that his favorite flavors are not the most popular flavors with most other people. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate and chocolate mint are the most popular flavors, followed by peppermint and licorice. Tom knows that most 1-lb boxes of Atlantic Candy Company taffy containing 64 pieces includes 4 green with red pieces, 3 white with red peppermint pieces, 3 white with green peppermint pieces, 3 milk chocolate pieces with white and pink bull’s-eye centers, 2 milk chocolate with green peppermint pieces, 7 white pieces, 12 dark chocolate pieces, 9 orange pieces, 15 milk chocolate pieces and 6 licorice pieces.

1.  Based on the market research, Tom thinks it would be profitable to sell an assortment box that has double-size pieces of taffy in chocolate and peppermint in a special holiday gift box. If they use a ½ pound box how many pieces should they include? (1lb = 64 pieces of regular size pieces)

2 IF they produce another ½-pound box containing an equal number of double-size milk chocolate taffy, chocolate-mint taffy, and peppermint taffy, how many pieces of each flavor will there be in this special gift box?

i would like to know how to turn question one into a correct formula or how i an learn to break down the question properly.

please anyone help me.

thanks

Wing

Last edited by wing (2007-09-25 01:49:49)

#2 2007-09-25 23:28:46

landof+

Re: can someone break this down so i can understand it?

Put your information into a graph, table or simply in points.

I shall be on leave until I say so...

Board footer