Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-20 06:18:43

noobie13

help needed!!!

hi!! i m new 2 dis forum n i need ur help..
suppose i want 2 curves(of definate length) rotating about origin and i need that at any point of time the common normal at the point of contact should be vertical... if i fix a curve let it be a semicircle from the part of x2+y2=4 and i need to find the equation of the other curve dat can satisfy the given condition..
actually i m doing mechanical engg n i really really need dis to make my project n i dnt think so i hv read dis much maths till my sec yr.... plzz if ne1 can help??

#2 2007-06-20 13:12:49

John E. Franklin

Re: help needed!!!

I'm really confused.  When you say rotating, are you in flat 2-D or 3-D.
And is the half circle above the x-axis part only. 
What is this common normal that should be vertical, can you describe this more?

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2007-06-20 13:28:54

Ricky

It's in 3d John.

i need that at any point of time the common normal at the point of contact should be vertical

Common normal?  What is a common normal?  And what point of contact?  Contact between the functions?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2007-06-21 10:43:36

noobie13

see i m sry actually i wz thinkin frm d point of view of the actual application in the project fabrication of robot where i dnt have my coordinate axis.. i wz takin it in flat 2-d.. see i just randomly fixed the first curve as a circle.. take it as a full circle(or non changing wen rotating abt origin).. it will nt influence my fabrication.. ya i m talking abt the common normal at contact between functions.. i knw my question is vague.. may b u can help if i tell u d mechanical details n wat i actually wnt 2 achieve..

#5 2007-06-21 10:48:28

noobie13

see m making a reconfigurabe robot which will transform itself from a 4 legged robot to wheeled one when needed.. nw my legs have 2 limbs.. d problem dat m facing is dat i have a heavy base.. nw the robot will collapse at the junction of two limbs due to its own weight.. i wished to design a mechanical analog using d vague ideas which i tld u... using this i wz tryin 2 balance the vertical weight at ne position n still have the relative motion bt two limbs at ne angle between two limbs.. if itz still nt clear.. may b i can send u 3d model of my leg wid explanation at ur email add if u can give me ne.. newayz thanx a lottt for taking interest

Board footer