Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 21:17:49

U7109
Real Member

Other Universes and Alien Races

May as well get straight to it. Since 1930 when films about Mars and Moon aliens attacking Earth have gone on air, the world is thinking about if we are not alone. Half say there are aliens in other galaxies, others say there isn't. The Hubble Space telescope shows pictures of close galaxies, and no life has been detected. But maybe aliens DO exist! I've come to put an end to it. Here is my theory (PLEASE note that any off-topic posts will be reported or deleted by a moderator)

First off, you need to think about Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. It has a very dark, warm ocean underneath the bed of ice covering it. Scientists are guessing it may hold simple microscopic lifeforms. But if you look at our own deep oceans, you notice that deeper than the Twilight Zone (Over 3000 metres underwater) houses millions of sea-creatures that survive without light. Those creatures might of developed from simillar aliens that lived in Europa's oceans, but some got blasted to Earth by rocks and so on. NASA or the Russian space stations may launch a probe to Europa to dig deep into the ice

Second, think about humans. We need Oxygen, water, etc. to survive. Maybe, aliens don't need that stuff. They try to make sure they aren't discovered by sheilding a force-ray around the planets they live on so Hubble won't be able to detect it. But not all aliens could be uber-smart, etc. If you've ever watched a TV series on Discovery Science (In the UK) called Alien Planet, you must of heard of Darwin IV, an imaginary planet on the show which is visited by two space probes; Leo and Ike. They realise the lifeforms there are a lot like the ones on Earth. They get destroyed by two aliens that have the brain capacity of the humans that first lived in Europe.

Lastly, think about the possibilities. The future is coming very fast, and 2070 may be the year we realise aliens are on other planets. If they aren't, we could always just search for simple lifeforms. Scientists have given up about big aliens with ray guns, and have decided to move to very simple microscopic lifeforms. What's your theory? Share yours here, what you think about aliens.

PS: Wow, that was the longest post I've made in ages!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination," ~ John Lennon

#2 2007-04-17 21:55:19

JaneFairfax

Re: Other Universes and Alien Races

When we try and look for signs of life outside planet Earth, what do we mean by “life”? Do we mean “life” as in carbon-based physiological entites, such as are found on Earth, or do we simply mean life in a braoder sense, i.e. sentient entities, whether carbon-based or not?

If we try and look for carbon-based forms outside Earth, we may not find them, simply because, in outer space, there may not exist conditions similiar to those found on our planet. But the absence of living forms similar to those found on Earth does not mean that life, in the broader definition, does not exist.

However, if non-carbon sentient life forms do exist out there, how would we recognize them? We are only used to knowing life in carbon-based terms; we have never seen life in any other form before, so how can we ever recognize that which we have never seen before? And if we spot, on some distant planet, moon or star, activities which we suspect to be a sign of (non-carbon) sentient life, how can we prove our claim that it is a sign of life rather than a phenomenon of some inanimate processes perfectly explicable by natural laws?

IMHO, these are intractable philosophical questions which any search for estra-terrestrial “life” must address. For me, I’ll just take the middle ground on this issue. I’m not committing myself to the belief in extra-terrestrial life, but neither am I rejecting the possibility that extra-terrestrial life may exist. I am an agnostic, neither a sceptic nor a believer. smile

#3 2007-04-18 01:18:40

mathsyperson

I think that extraterrestrial life probably does exist somewhere, but it's very unlikely that we'll be able to find it.

There are lots and lots of conditions that a planet needs to have exactly right in order to be able to support life (and even then, the life needs to get there somehow) and so there is a very low probability that there will be life on any one planet.
However, because there are a vast amount of planets in every galaxy, and an even vaster amount of galaxies in the universe, it's almost certain that at least one of those planets will have life on it.
Excluding ours, of course. It would just be too much of a coincidence that the whole of life in the universe is just us.

However, when you consider not the planets in universe, but just the planets that we would be able to see life on if it was there, then the number of them becomes far, far smaller, which means that there's a far smaller chance of life being on one of them.

Incidentally, I vaguely remember hearing about some crazy quantum physics that says that the universe cannot exist without being observed. So an experiment to determine whether any life is out there or not would be to annihilate all life on earth. Then, if the universe is still around, then there must be life somewhere else. Simple, really. tongue

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-04-18 11:57:20

Stanley_Marsh

Human is an example of life form. That means the probability for life to flourish isn't zero . Then , there must be ailen races , if not now, sooner or later.

Numbers are the essence of the Universe

#5 2007-04-18 20:36:42

U7109
Real Member

Aliens may not be smart and have UFOS as travel, but aliens may be like humans and animals mixed together. Think of the possibilities, aliens may be all water creatures or they are invisible and float in space, not dectected by Hubble?

Mars holds simple life-forms in the North and South Polar Ice Caps. I should know. I know every last detail about The Red Planet, I'm actually stribing to be the first British Woman astronaut, and to also be the first human on Mars.

Those films where Mars and Moon aliens invade Earth with ray guns may be true. Mars Attacks, a film set in the 1950s, and
The Day The Earth Stood Still show aliens invading. I once saw the Alien Planet webpage on the British version of Discovery Science, it opened up with this first:

We assumed they would come in spaceships.
We said they would demand to see our leader.
We thought they would find us.
WE WERE WRONG
We have found them.

#6 2007-04-19 03:52:27

Stanley_Marsh

Maybe live in different dimensions.

#7 2007-04-19 19:31:22

U7109
Real Member

I say that there is another Universe, a one which is the exact oppisite of everything in this Universe. So a few people will go to that Universe, and help everything on Earth get into that Universe when the Sun expands. So we just move from Universe to Universe, never dying!

#8 2007-04-20 04:54:46

Stanley_Marsh

Paralell universe~ hehe

#9 2007-04-20 07:41:29

mathsyperson

Even if such a universe did exist, it's very unlikely that we'd be able to actually get there.

It wanted to be normal.

#10 2007-04-20 12:04:59

U7109
Real Member

But by the time the Sun expands into a Red Supergiant, we would have established colonies on Jupiter's moon, Calisto, or Saturn's moon, Titan. They will end up like Earth. But when the UNIVERSE ends, we might have found a parallel Universe and we just go from Universe to Universe. Humans will never stop existing that way.

#11 2007-04-21 11:12:04

mathsyperson

Living on Jupiter instead of Earth won't keep you alive when the sun becomes a supergiant. Even if Jupiter doesn't get engulfed, it will suddenly become much too hot, followed some time later by being much too cold.

Edit: OK, Calisto then. It doesn't matter what planet or moon we're talking about, anything in the Solar System will end up uninhabitable.

Last edited by mathsyperson (2007-04-21 22:20:12)

It wanted to be normal.

#12 2007-04-21 20:15:08

U7109
Real Member

I said on Calisto, Mathsy. Calisto is a moon. Titan could be another option, as well. When the Cassini spacecraft launched Huygyens into Titan's atomasphere, they had a massive article about it on the BBC news, Christmas Eve 2004. They said if Titan were to be just a bit warmer, it would be just like Earth! How odd.

#13 2007-04-26 04:15:40

burningleo

that is strange indeed

What was, was and whats here is now big_smile

#14 2007-04-26 09:32:00

Stanley_Marsh

Chocó wrote:

I say that there is another Universe, a one which is the exact oppisite of everything in this Universe.

One flaw about this is , that if that universe is the opposite of ours , then If we can't travel to that universe , that will mean that the ppl from the opposite universe can travel to our universe. It will be a one way passage ,right?

#15 2007-04-26 18:11:40

Devantè
Real Member

Stanley_Marsh wrote:

It will be a one way passage ,right?

Explain what you mean by a 'one-way' passage.

#16 2007-04-27 00:26:44

mathsyperson

He already did. According to the theory that the opposite universe is different to ours in every way, then that means that because we can't escape from our universe, people from the other universe must be able to escape from theirs. But then when they get into our universe, they wouldn't be able to get back again. Hence, one-way passage.

The problem can be fixed by considering some other opposites though. Perhaps our universe can't receive anyone from outside, as well as not letting people out. Then, people from the other universe would theoretically be able to escape their universe, but they'd have nowhere to go anyway.
Also, as there are living things in this universe, then that means that there can't be any living things in the other universe, which means the problem goes away completely.
In fact, now I think about it, the fact that this universe exists means that the other one doesn't.

It wanted to be normal.

#17 2007-04-27 00:38:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

mathsyperson wrote:

In fact, now I think about it, the fact that this universe exists means that the other one doesn't.

Indeed! And if our Universe has a perfect opposite, then the opposite doesn't.

And while all this may seem absurd, it seems perfectly sensible in the opposite Universe.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#18 2007-04-27 05:16:47

Stanley_Marsh

mathsyperson wrote:

Great point! but paralelled universe need not be opposite , maybe like a image.

But the truth of the world may be too much for human mind to handle , (for example , we live a 3D world , then we are unable to picture a 4D world ..)

P.S I think big bang may be created by the collision between two universes. big_smile

Last edited by Stanley_Marsh (2007-04-27 05:18:13)

#19 2007-04-27 12:50:39

U7109
Real Member

Hmm, that could be correct. And if there were intelligent aliens, they may live on gas planets but weigh around minus one kilograms, so they can walk on the gas. Remember, aliens may need little or no oxygen or water to survive.

#20 2007-04-27 23:49:35

mathsyperson

If they had negative weight then the planet would repel them. hmm

It wanted to be normal.

#21 2007-04-28 02:34:42

Devantè
Real Member

mathsyperson wrote:

If they had negative weight then the planet would repel them. hmm

That would be cool. Wouldn't it?

#22 2007-04-28 04:49:50

Kurre

i dont think there need to be any other lifeforms in the universe (it can be so, and i want it, but it doesnt NEED to be like that as some people may think).

lets say there are many, up to billions, paralell universes (or why not an infinite amount of universes?). then lets say that life occurs in one out of 1000000 of these universes, then the chance that there might be life on another place in our universe isnt that big...

Or lets say that this universe will close after a while, since it's now expanding it will implode and when it has shrinked to a dot another big bang occurs and a new universe is created and so it continues. Which means that there have been alot of other universes before this one. Then maybe only 1 out of 1000000 of these universes will have a planet that supports life and then the chance that there may be life on two places in this universe is really low again smile.

But if this universe is the only one that exists i beleive that there may have been life on other places but if i remember correctly earth existed for a long time before life started to exist and lets say that life will be over on earth in maybe 1000-10000 years, then the period that life exists is very short and the chances they will exist at the same time as us isnt that big (ofcourse life on earth may stay here forever, but at least the chances that there will exist two civilizations at the same time in a universe is imo minimal. but not to forget, the distances in our universe are really huge and then you cant really define what exists at the same time since time is relative, right? wink )

Ofcourse the chances that a universe will support life may not  be that minimal as i assumed, but the point is that we have really no idea how life really comes up, we really dont know the deepest secrets of life so we can only roughly calculate that chances that a star sould hold a habitable planet, but there may be loads of more conditions that is needed for life that we dont know yet. i only want to prove for all people that are deadly sure we are not alone that this might not be the case. smile

and as JaneFairfax said, what is life? how do we really define life? is it something that moves, eats, that has a metabolism. The storm systems on jupiter and neptune, that have big storms that appear and disappear, is that life? All life on earth are anyway made by atoms and molecules so you could say that life on earth and the whole evolution may just be a huge mega-advanced chemical reaction. roll

Last edited by Kurre (2007-04-28 04:54:23)

#23 2007-04-28 06:14:23

catgirl

Chocó wrote:

May as well get straight to it. Since 1930 when films about Mars and Moon aliens attacking Earth have gone on air, the world is thinking about if we are not alone. Half say there are aliens in other galaxies, others say there isn't. The Hubble Space telescope shows pictures of close galaxies, and no life has been detected. But maybe aliens DO exist! I've come to put an end to it. Here is my theory (PLEASE note that any off-topic posts will be reported or deleted by a moderator)

First off, you need to think about Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. It has a very dark, warm ocean underneath the bed of ice covering it. Scientists are guessing it may hold simple microscopic lifeforms. But if you look at our own deep oceans, you notice that deeper than the Twilight Zone (Over 3000 metres underwater) houses millions of sea-creatures that survive without light. Those creatures might of developed from simillar aliens that lived in Europa's oceans, but some got blasted to Earth by rocks and so on. NASA or the Russian space stations may launch a probe to Europa to dig deep into the ice

Second, think about humans. We need Oxygen, water, etc. to survive. Maybe, aliens don't need that stuff. They try to make sure they aren't discovered by sheilding a force-ray around the planets they live on so Hubble won't be able to detect it. But not all aliens could be uber-smart, etc. If you've ever watched a TV series on Discovery Science (In the UK) called Alien Planet, you must of heard of Darwin IV, an imaginary planet on the show which is visited by two space probes; Leo and Ike. They realise the lifeforms there are a lot like the ones on Earth. They get destroyed by two aliens that have the brain capacity of the humans that first lived in Europe.

Lastly, think about the possibilities. The future is coming very fast, and 2070 may be the year we realise aliens are on other planets. If they aren't, we could always just search for simple lifeforms. Scientists have given up about big aliens with ray guns, and have decided to move to very simple microscopic lifeforms. What's your theory? Share yours here, what you think about aliens.

PS: Wow, that was the longest post I've made in ages!

Well, astronauts think they've found a planet like earth outside of our solar systym.Okay, cat nap time. Anyone with me?roflolroflolroflol:P:Dsleep

#24 2007-04-30 04:11:45

burningleo

they say that aliens fly here and people see them but why don't they ever seem to stay or try to make more contact with humans it could be the way we speak because i saw this one thing where it talks about how aliens might not want to talk to humans because we don't seem advanced enough.

and the thing says that they might not want to speek to humans because there are other species on earth that there languastic skills are supposedly harder to decode and stuff is it possible that aliens would rather talk to them??

What was, was and whats here is now big_smile

#25 2007-04-30 18:14:21

U7109
Real Member

Aliens may not have spaceships and technolagy. Maybe they are just mutated from Earth animals. In the deepest, darkest part of the oceans on Earth, they have mammals and fish that can survive without sunglight, and Europa may hold the same creatures beneath its icy surface. Then again, if the probe sent to explore Europa digs into the ice and exposes the aliens to the very pale, thin sunlight, they may just die. Or maybe not... I don't know big_smile

Board footer