Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-08 12:45:05

quackensack

Linear algebra problem

This proof was confusing me and I have a test next Thursday on this type of thing, so if anyone could explain how this is done, I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

Let

be a vector space and let
and 
be subspaces of 
.  Prove that
is a subspace of 
.  (Do not forget to show that
is nonempty.)

#2 2007-04-08 14:42:56

Ricky

Re: Linear algebra problem

Just go through the properties one by one.  Many you won't have to do.  For example, being associative in V automatically means being associative in any subset of V, and the intersection of two subspaces is at least a subset.

So for example, to be a vector space, it must contain the 0 (I say "the" because you can prove that 0 is unique.  i.e. there aren't two or more 0's).  So we need to show that 0 is in the intersection.  But part of being a subspace means that you have to contain the 0.  So each subspace must contain the 0, and the intersection must therefore contain the 0.

Now lets try it for a + b.  Let a and b be vectors in the intersection.  This means that a is in W1 and a is in W2, and b is in W1 and b is in W2.  So this means that a + b has to be in W1, as W1 must be closed.  Same for W2.  So a + b is in W1 and a + b is in W2.  So a + b must be in the intersection.

All the rest are excruciatingly similar.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2007-04-08 15:09:39

quackensack

Ricky wrote:

Just go through the properties one by one.  Many you won't have to do.  For example, being associative in V automatically means being associative in any subset of V, and the intersection of two subspaces is at least a subset.

So for example, to be a vector space, it must contain the 0 (I say "the" because you can prove that 0 is unique.  i.e. there aren't two or more 0's).  So we need to show that 0 is in the intersection.  But part of being a subspace means that you have to contain the 0.  So each subspace must contain the 0, and the intersection must therefore contain the 0.

Now lets try it for a + b.  Let a and b be vectors in the intersection.  This means that a is in W1 and a is in W2, and b is in W1 and b is in W2.  So this means that a + b has to be in W1, as W1 must be closed.  Same for W2.  So a + b is in W1 and a + b is in W2.  So a + b must be in the intersection.

All the rest are excruciatingly similar.

Thank you! smile

So from what you said, I understand that I also have to prove it for scalar multiplication.  So would it be right if I were to say:

Let a be a vector in the intersection.  This means that a is in W1 and a is in W2.  Therefore, a times a scalar x will be in W1 as well as W2 by the closure property of scalar multiplication.  So a*x must be in the intersection.

#4 2007-04-08 16:01:06

Ricky

Yep.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2007-04-08 16:58:51

quackensack

Thanks!  I was wondering...part of the problem says to show that the intersection of W1 and W2 is nonempty.  Did I already prove this by saying that ax and a+b are in the intersection, or is there more to it than that?

#6 2007-04-08 17:23:19

Zhylliolom
Real Member

It's nonempty because as subspaces, 0 must be in both W[sub]1[/sub] and W[sub]2[/sub], and hence 0 ∈ W[sub]1[/sub] ∩ W[sub]2[/sub].

#7 2007-04-08 19:07:15

Ricky

Did I already prove this by saying that ax and a+b are in the intersection, or is there more to it than that?

No, because for a + b to be in the intersection, there has to be stuff in the intersection.  That is, both a and b must be in there.  What you're saying is "If a and b are in the intersection".  This first assumes the intersection is non-empty.  You must show that is true.

Board footer