Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-15 19:49:15

wildmood

4 degree polynomials

Hi,

is there a formula to factorize quadric polynomials.

i need a formula how to factorize x^4-3x^3+3x+1.

i can factorize it (x^2-x-1)(x^2-2x-1) however need to know if there is any general formula for this kind of polynomials.

#2 2006-11-16 00:54:36

mathsyperson

Re: 4 degree polynomials

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a formula for quartic equations.

You'd need to look for values of x that make the function equal 0, and then you'd know that a factor of the function is (x-a), where a was your x-value.

Then you could use polynomial division and then you'd be left with a cubic, which you could do the same thing on.

That doesn't work with yours though, so the best way is probably just to get a calculator to do it for you. smile

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2006-11-16 01:05:38

wildmood

I thought I've seen the forumal somewhere - quartic with -3 and 3 as the second and third coefficients, but maybe I'm wrong. I managed to factorize it myself by trial and error - in this case it wasn't too difficult.

#4 2006-11-16 03:25:19

luca-deltodesco

there IS a formula to solve the general quartic, however, its extremely unstable and long winded.

when i say formula, i mean a long list of steps to take, involving complex numbers, even though the coeffecients may be real.

Last edited by luca-deltodesco (2006-11-16 03:25:55)

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#5 2006-11-16 07:20:11

Ricky

There is a general formula and it is very usable... by computer programs.  Otherwise, I would be tempted to say it is merely and item of fascination and not something actually useful, as luca said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_formula

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer