Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-11 22:24:04

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Circles

I have made a few pages:

Circle

Unit Circle

Pi (just the start of a page really. Pi is such a big subject)

Set of All Points

I would really value your feedback before I link to them from the "Recent Additions" page.

Also, should "Unit Circle" be an advanced page?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-11-11 22:49:03

Devantè
Real Member

Re: Circles

Set Of All Points wrote:

The idea of "Locus" can be used to create some wierd and wonderful shapes!

Unit Circle wrote:

Becasue the radius is 1, you can directly measure sine, cosine and tangent.

Those are the only mistakes I could find, which aren't really important.

About the Unit Circle; I doubt it should be an advanced page since it is pretty easy to understand and there isn't anything necessarily complex about it.

Overall, very nice work. The pictures give the reader a large understanding of the topic.

Last edited by Devanté (2006-11-11 22:49:45)

#3 2006-11-12 00:41:38

mathsyperson

Set of All Points also wrote:

So, no matter where you are on the ellipse, you can add up the distance to point "A" and to point "B" and it will alwas be the same result.

But apart from that, very good pages. The Unit Circle page might deserve to be in the Advanced Maths section. It involves trigonometry, so it's fairly advanced. It depends on how advanced the subject needs to be before it can be called advanced, really.

Some examples of the weird and wonderful shapes that loci can form would be nice. smile

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2006-11-12 00:49:49

Patrick
Real Member

What program do you use for making the figures?

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#5 2006-11-12 09:22:24

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks guys, I will correct those.

The purpose of "Advanced" is to let the reader know they are expected to have some knowledge of mathematics before reading. This lets me use formulas and simple algebra without much explanation.

I think "if the typical school student read the page would they be in over their heads?" ... if so it should probably be an advanced page. Perhaps around Year 11/12, particularly on elective subjects. But I am still feeling my way on this.

Patrick: I use a variety of programs. Inkscape, Povray, Photoshop, Photoplus.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2006-11-16 10:45:06

MathsIsFun
Administrator

mathsyperson wrote:

Some examples of the weird and wonderful shapes that loci can form would be nice. smile

Yes! Any ideas?

Board footer