Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-09 17:41:48

haruka-san

Symbolic Logic

i know that the term LOGIC is very familiar.. actually we have this subject SYMBOLIC LOGIC.. we havent started yet the classes..i am just confused,, is it the same with the subject logic? how does it differ from one another?? anybody who has an idea??

thanks..

Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. ^_^

#2 2006-11-10 09:28:08

Ricky

Re: Symbolic Logic

Symbol logic is simply expressing a statement with symbols.

Let:

M = Mary likes cheese
B = Bob hates milk
R = Robert feels sick
S = Sally won the game

So

If Mary likes cheese and Bob hates milk or Robert feels sick, or Mary does not like cheese and Bob does not hate milk, then Sally won the game.

Becomes:

( (M^B)vR ) v(~M ^ ~B) -> S

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2006-11-10 09:58:46

luca-deltodesco

i thought ¬ was used negation?
like ¬A as opposed to ~A

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#4 2006-11-10 18:19:09

haruka-san

Ricky wrote:

Symbol logic is simply expressing a statement with symbols.

Let:

M = Mary likes cheese
B = Bob hates milk
R = Robert feels sick
S = Sally won the game

So

If Mary likes cheese and Bob hates milk or Robert feels sick, or Mary does not like cheese and Bob does not hate milk, then Sally won the game.

Becomes:

( (M^B)vR ) v(~M ^ ~B) -> S

WOW! thanks it helps a lot..up

Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. ^_^

#5 2006-11-10 21:56:46

Ricky

i thought ¬ was used negation?
like ¬A as opposed to ~A

There are tons of ways:

Are all notations I've seen.  Some with a more computer science oriented background may even use !A.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#6 2006-11-12 15:56:11

haruka-san

at last i found a book in symbolic logic! yehey!!
i have read the first chapter and i think studying symbolic logic will be fun.. am i right??

#7 2006-11-12 17:31:10

Ricky

I wouldn't say it's exactly fun.  It's mostly simple to the point of it being tedious.

Board footer