Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-01 05:58:24

All_Is_Number

Sticky Latex help

I know Latex can be used to write expressions in a nice mathematical format. I don't know how to use Latex. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, either.

Any possibility of placing a sticky thread explaining Latex syntax at the top of the Help Me forum or some other suitable location?

Thanks.

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#2 2006-08-01 09:48:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Sticky Latex help

We have this topic here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1581

And our Formulas Section is a great resource for Latex help. Because you can click on any formula and a window opens up with the latex code.

But you are right, this could all be explained as a sticky in Introductions.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-08-01 12:49:35

ryos

Re: Sticky Latex help

This tutorial taught me everything I've needed to know to use LaTeX in this forum (I found it with Google, hint hint).

I'm not sure if we need to actually try and explain LaTeX syntax in a sticky because that would be quite a job, and others have already done it for us. However, we could certainly put a sticky informing about the math tag and maybe a few links to some good resources.

Actually, a "help" sticky or separate page or something that documents all the special syntax of this board would be very nice. I know there are threads scattered here and there that do it (for example, this one lists all the "smiley entities"), but it's rare the newbie that finds them all quickly.

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

Board footer