Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-31 02:33:58

Ninja 101

animal languages and communication

I've cracked some of dolphinese.
it's in sounds that don't come in a language but a sequence that portrays a message. a simple message but a powerful message none the less. e.g. squeaky whistle= I'm afraid, then the other dolphins escape from a shark or other danger. an observation made by scientists.

it's the same for monkeys. they make a different howl for a different predator, then it affects the monkey clan in a different way e.g. big cat, the monkeys go up, eagle the monkeys climb down and snake, the monkeys climb to a different tree.

bees have the most efficient form of communication because they just do a 1/2 second buzz/dance and it's told half the colony where there's nectar to be had.

ants don't make a noise but use pheremones, chemical signals that lead the other ants to do a task, e.g. 1 pheremone makes ants follow and another summons an ant army. big_smile . My lead into the world of creatures.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#2 2006-07-29 08:39:50

Devantè
Real Member

Re: animal languages and communication

Nice information. I think what you're saying is actually half true. wink Animals could be making noises meaning something, and not necessarily be relative to speech. An example:

A dolphin makes a wailing noise. It naturally makes this noise, presumably. Now, let's just say that hypothetically, the scientist would see this as a request for food. The dolphin gets the food for making this wailing noise, but then realises that he gets food whenever he makes that wailing noise. This continues and more scientists continue to be led to several conclusions about whether dolphins are attempting to communicate through speech.

Just my theory, though. smile

#3 2006-07-29 11:34:12

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Some language is quite universal amongst a species.

Example for dogs: howls, yaps, barks, growls, ears up/down, tail up/down/between legs/wagging/straight.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-09-05 16:54:23

Chelsea

That is amazing!!!!!
Did u know that if u look a cat in the eye 4 a few seconds then cloze your eyes and turn away that means that u like them as a pet tho'?

Theres no other place like home or is there..............

#5 2006-09-06 00:16:11

Ninja 101

Tortoises make a kind of squeaking noise, as do mice, this knowledge was attained by watching real tortoises, Hattie and Helmut.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

Board footer