Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-06 04:52:24

austin81

Wise sayings

I'll like we have a section for wise asayings, be them Mathematical or others.
Ex "A man is not rewarded for having a brain, but for using it".up

#2 2006-03-06 05:09:23

espeon
Real Member

Re: Wise sayings

Yeah and you can have lots of pictures to go with them.One of the person who made that quote.Two to show the meaning in a way we can understand

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2006-03-06 05:17:28

Ricky

You can't think outside the box until you know what's in it.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2006-03-06 06:35:59

espeon
Real Member

???
Is that supposed to be a quote?

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 2006-03-06 06:39:25

krassi_holmz
Real Member

||
\/

IPBLE:  Increasing Performance By Lowering Expectations.

#6 2006-03-06 06:56:32

espeon
Real Member

Is that the same as smile or just pointing downwards

#7 2006-03-06 22:07:16

MathsIsFun
Administrator

The Universe is both simpler and more complex than we realise. - MathsIsFun

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#8 2006-03-07 03:24:50

krassi_holmz
Real Member

Here's the universe:
||
||
||
\/

/\
||
||
Don't see it?
Look closer. - krassi_holms

#9 2006-03-07 03:30:08

krassi_holmz
Real Member

And another:
There is no such thing as nothing.

#10 2006-03-07 04:08:13

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

austin81, here are some wise words of mathematicians!

The primary question was not what do we know, but how do we know it. – Aristotle

In mathematics the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it. - Georg Cantor

The charm [of mathematics] lies chiefly in the absolute certainty of its results; for that is what, beyond all mental treasures, the human intellect craves for. Let us be sure of something! More light, more light! - Lewis Carroll

As for everything else, so for a mathematical theory: beauty can be perceived but not explained. - Arthur Cayley

Whoever despises the high wisdom of mathematics nourishes himself on delusion. - Leonardo da Vinci

Intuition is the conception of an attentive mind, so clear, so distinct, and so effortless that we cannot doubt what we have so conceived.
- Rene Descartes

Mathematics is the tool specially suited for dealing with abstract concepts of any kind and there is no limit to its power in this field.
- Paul Dirac

How can it be that mathematics, being after all a product of human thought independent of experience, is so admirably adapted to the objects of reality? - Albert Einstein

If a man is at once acquainted with the geometric foundation of things and with their festal splendor, his poetry is exact and his arithmetic musical. - Ralph Waldo Emerson 

Although to penetrate into the intimate mysteries of nature and thence to learn the true causes of phenomena is not allowed to us, nevertheless it can happen that a certain fictive hypothesis may suffice for explaining many phenomena. - Leonhard Euler

We could, of course, use any notation we want; do not laugh at notations; invent them, they are powerful. In fact, mathematics is, to a large extent, invention of better notations.
- Richard P. Feynman

The profound study of nature is the most fertile source of mathematical discoveries. - Joseph Fourier

What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics. - Benjamin Franklin

The Universe is a grand book which cannot be read until one first learns to comprehend the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is composed. It is written in the language of mathematics. - Galileo Galilei

Unfortunately what is little recognized is that the most worthwhile scientific books are those in which the author clearly indicates what he does not know; for an author most hurts his readers by concealing difficulties. - Evariste Galois

Mathematics ... condescends to render service to astronomy and other natural sciences, but under all circumstances the first place is her due. - Carl Friedrich Gauss

Either mathematics is too big for the human mind or the human mind is more than a machine. - Kurt Gödel

I believe that mathematical reality lies outside of us, and that our function is to discover, or observe it, and that the theorems which we prove, and which we describe grandiloquently as our “creations” are simply notes on our observations. - Godfrey Harold Hardy

I think that modern physics has definitely decided in favor of Plato. In fact the smallest units of matter are not physical objects in the ordinary sense; they are forms, ideas which can be expressed unambiguously only in mathematical language.
– Werner Heisenberg

A mathematical theory is not to be considered complete until you have made it so clear that you can explain it to the first man whom you meet on the street. - David Hilbert

The science of mathematics presents the most brilliant example of how pure reason may successfully enlarge its domain without the aid of experience. - Emmanuel Kant

When you can measure what you are talking about and express it in numbers, you know something about it. - Lord Kelvin

I believe the geometric proportion served the creator as an idea when He introduced the continuous generation of similar objects from similar objects. - Johannes Kepler

All the effects of nature are only mathematical results of a small number of immutable laws. - Pierre-Simon Laplace

I am so in favor of the actual infinite that instead of admitting that Nature abhors it, as is commonly said, I hold that Nature makes frequent use of it everywhere, in order to show more effectively the perfections of its Author. - Gottfried Willhelm von Leibniz

There is nothing so troublesome to mathematical practice ... than multiplications, divisions, square and cubical extractions of great numbers ... I began therefore to consider ... how I might remove those hindrances.- John Napier

I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only a boy playing on the sea shore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier sea shell than ordinary whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Sir Isaac Newton

Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed. - Blaise Pascal

The mathematician, carried along on his flood of symbols, dealing apparently with purely formal truths, may still reach results of endless importance for our description of the physical universe. - Karl Pearson

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.
- Henri Poincaré

Number is the within of all things. - Pythagoras

Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty – a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.
- Bertrand Russell

The idea of the continuum seems simple to us. We have somehow lost sight of the difficulties it implies ... We are told such a number as the square root of 2 worried Pythagoras and his school almost to exhaustion. Being used to such queer numbers from early childhood, we must be careful not to form a low idea of the mathematical intuition of these ancient sages; their worry was highly credible. - Erwin Schrödinger

Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity. - Alan Turing

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#11 2006-03-07 04:16:11

espeon
Real Member

Thats great!Now we just have to ask rod if he can put up a link.

#12 2006-03-07 18:06:39

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Wise words, other than mathematicians....

They never fail who die In a great cause - Byron

Sticks and stones are thrown only at fruit bearing trees. - Persian.

Do not complain because the rose bush has thorns. Rejoice that the thorn bush bears roses. - Arabian.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none - Benjamin Franklin.

Don’t be “consistent”, but be simply true. - Holmes.

Enjoy when you can and endure when you must - Goethe.

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know of a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. - Samuel Johnson.

Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts. - Anon.

How far that little candle throws its beams, So shines a good deed in a naughty world. - Shakespeare.

In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity. - Longfellow.

It is better than to change our opinion than to persist in a wrong one. - Socrates.

Let your own discretion be your tutor! Suit the action to the word, the word to the action. - Shakespeare.

Laws grind the poor, and rich men rule the law. - Goldsmith.

Let talkers talk; stick thou to what is best; To think of pleasing all—is all a jest. - Byron.

My strength is as the strength of ten, Because my heart is pure. - Tennyson.

Nothing useless is or low: Each thing in its place is best. - Longfellow.

No two on earth in all things can agree. All things have some darling singularity. - Churchill.

No human capacity ever yet saw the whole of a thing, but we may see more and more of it, the longer we look. - Ruskin.

Oh! How sublime a thing it is To suffer and be strong - Longfellow.

Resist the devil and he will flee from you. - New Testament.

Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There is no better rule. - Dickinson.

The price of wisdom is above rubies. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore, get wisdom; and with all thy getting, get understanding. - Old Testament.

The childhood shows the man. As morning shows the day. - Milton.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever; Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness. - Keats.

All are architects of fate, Working in these walls of time; Some with massive deeds and great, Some with ornaments of rhyme. - Longfellow.

Accuse not nature, she hath done her part. Do thou but thine. - Milton.

Be a man! Bear thine own burden, never think to thrust. Thy fate upon another! - Robert Browning.

Be a philosopher; but amidst your philosophy, be still a man - Hume.

Before you step – look ahead. Before you fire – aim Before you act – plan - Anon

Don’t thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of - Benjamin Franklin

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#13 2006-03-08 04:02:08

mathsyperson

ganesh wrote:

Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There is no better rule. - Dickinson.

Heehee, Darles Chickens got filtered.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#14 2006-05-03 22:43:07

austin81

A wise mokey is a monkey that does not monkey wit another monkey's monkey

#15 2006-05-03 22:48:32

austin81

Pls can we keep this section moving by sending more wise sayings?

#16 2006-05-04 00:16:48

Ninja 101

a fool and his money are easily parted.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#17 2006-05-04 00:21:02

Ninja 101

You can lead a horse to water but you can never forget how a wet horse smells.
you can lead a cat to water but remember how it feels to get your face scratched off.

Life is like sushi, you cut a slice and eat it raw.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#18 2006-06-20 04:27:42

austin81

The frowning of a goat can not stop it  from being sold

#19 2006-06-20 04:40:33

austin81

He who expects the unexpected is unexpecting the expecteddizzy

#20 2006-06-20 04:47:54

Ricky

To every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, neat, and dead wrong.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable.  Certainty makes you rediculous.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#21 2006-06-20 06:18:04

luca-deltodesco

he who laughs at the man whos chickens are rotten, should not laugh but go back to check his own coop, as his chickens may also be rotten

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#22 2006-07-13 14:43:21

All_Is_Number

ganesh wrote:

austin81, here are some wise words of mathematicians!

Snip

Number is the within of all things. - Pythagoras

Also translated as:

All Is Number. big_smile:D:D

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#23 2006-07-13 15:22:45

All_Is_Number

More favorites from a dead hero:

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."

"But there is another reason for the high repute of mathematics: it is mathematics that offers the exact natural sciences a certain measure of security which, withut mathematics, they could not attain."

"But the creative principle resides in mathematics. In a certain sense, therefore, I hold true that pure thought can grasp reality, as the ancients dreamed."

"Thus the partial differential equation entered theoretical physics as a handmaid, but has gradually become mistress."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically.

"This has been done elegantly by Minkowski; but chalk is cheaper than grey matter, and we will do it as it comes."

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."

--Albert Einstein

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#24 2006-07-13 22:30:36

Ninja 101

Cogito ergo sum.

#25 2006-07-14 02:27:46

Patrick
Real Member

Ninja 101 wrote:

Cogito ergo sum.

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he would like another. "I think not," he says, and vanishes in a puff of logic.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

Board footer