Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-30 17:22:41

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Argument Quotes

Argument Quotes

1. The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Winston Churchill

2. I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left. - Margaret Thatcher

3. Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand. - Colin Powell

4. Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. - Leonardo da Vinci

5. Myself when young did eagerly frequent doctor and saint, and heard great argument about it and about: but evermore came out by the same door as in I went. - Omar Khayyam

6. The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it. - George Bernard Shaw

7. What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy? - George Orwell

8. My argument is that War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading. - Thomas Hardy

9. Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds exactly the same opinion. - Oscar Wilde

10. I've always been at war with myself, for right or wrong. I don't know how to explain it more. It's universal. Some people are better at dealing with it, and they sleep with no pain - not pain, arguments. I've grown quite comfortable with being at war. - Brad Pitt

11. Single women have a dreadful propensity for being poor. Which is one very strong argument in favor of matrimony. - Jane Austen

12. The argument of the strongest is always the best. - Jean de La Fontaine

13. I'd rather lose an argument than get into a long discussion in order to win it. - Rafael Nadal

14. The duty of rhetoric is to deal with such matters as we deliberate upon without arts or systems to guide us, in the hearing of persons who cannot take in at a glance a complicated argument or follow a long chain of reasoning. - Aristotle

15. That God cannot lie, is no advantage to your argument, because it is no proof that priests can not, or that the Bible does not. - Thomas Paine

16. What convinces is conviction. Believe in the argument you're advancing. If you don't you're as good as dead. The other person will sense that something isn't there, and no chain of reasoning, no matter how logical or elegant or brilliant, will win your case for you. - Lyndon B. Johnson

17. I think that the leaf of a tree, the meanest insect on which we trample, are in themselves arguments more conclusive than any which can be adduced that some vast intellect animates Infinity. - Percy Bysshe Shelley

18. I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding. - James Boswell

19. The best kids are going to become the best. But the best thing about it is that you're going to learn lessons in playing those sports about winning and losing and teamwork and teammates and arguments and everything else that are going to affect you positively for the rest of your life. - Carl Lewis

20. Liberty is a great celestial Goddess, strong, beneficent, and austere, and she can never descend upon a nation by the shouting of crowds, nor by arguments of unbridled passion, nor by the hatred of class against class. - Annie Besant

21. In a world where audiences listen for attitudes rather than arguments or information, speakers must feel the pressure to posture rather than engage. - Abhijit Banerjee

22. One thing that I find very unmotivating is the kind of Plan B argument: when Earth gets destroyed, you want to be somewhere else. That doesn't work for me. We have sent robotic probes now to every place in the solar system, and this is the best one. - Jeff Bezos

23. I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. - Margaret Thatcher

24. There are millions of Americans outside Washington who are tired of stale political arguments and are moving this country forward. They believe, and I believe, that here in America, our success should depend not on accident of birth, but the strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams. - Barack Obama

25. I do not have a brain that I long for in dealing with matters of which I am ignorant - that don't come within my ken and a rationale, a reason, an argument and so on - and I can't do that, and I'm not in that bracket at all. - Richard Attenborough

26. Admitting, however, for the sake of argument, that I am prime and sole minister in this country, am I, therefore, prime and sole minister of all Europe? Am I answerable for the conduct of other countries as well as for that of my own? - Robert Walpole

27. When I'm down, I talk to myself a lot. I look crazy because I'm constantly having an argument with myself. - Serena Williams

28. Are you asking for a raise? Do your research and know your market value. Having an informed sense of your worth, as dictated by the broader marketplace, will give you greater confidence in requesting increased compensation. It's tough to dispute someone who can back up her assertions with facts and a smart, articulate argument. - Ivanka Trump

29. I cannot think of a tactical alliance with the Left because I represent the idea that there is a peaceful, nonviolent way to dislodge a dictatorship... A tactical Left alliance damages my argument. If I succeed with them, we will never know if peace can really produce freedom. - Corazon Aquino

30. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it. Dale Carnegie.

istock-637526994.jpg

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer