Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-27 17:53:31

666 bro

Linear inequalities

When would the inequality signs gets reversed?

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#2 2019-10-27 18:38:44

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: Linear inequalities

When both sides is multiplied or divided by a negative number.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#3 2019-10-27 21:06:31

Bob
Administrator

Rules in maths are designed to make maths useful in practical situations.

If you owe money then it's easy to understand why $3 owed is worse than $2 owed, so mathematicians have decided to use < in the sense of 'further to the left' on a number line.  Thus -3 < -2

It's defined that way for the convenience of any situation where 'better' means further to the right.  Another example would be with temperatures.  -3 is colder than -2 so again -3 < -2 makes sense.

If you have two positive points on a number line, A and B with A to the left of B; then A < B

But when you multiply or divide by a negative then -B is now to the left of -A so -A > -B

This doesn't happen if you just add something or subtract something ( A + x < B + x) as the new numbers are still in the same left to right order.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2019-12-26 19:13:19

666 bro

In solving word problems related to inequalities why do we use this symbol "≥'' for  at least?

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#5 2019-12-26 20:12:24

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

At least in math means the smallest possible number in a set or sequence for example can not or must not be less than the given number.

The “greater than or equal to” symbol

conveys the same relationship as saying “at least equal to”.

Example: x is at least 2 =

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer