Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-24 03:11:51

Thompsonnn

Functions, Notations

questions removed by administrator  see  post 4.

#2 2017-09-24 03:42:20

Thompsonnn

Re: Functions, Notations

I understand 4-6

#3 2017-09-24 12:42:36

Monox D. I-Fly

For 9-12, you just need to replace x with the number written in the brackets.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#4 2017-09-25 01:26:12

Bob
Administrator

hi Thompsonnn

That's a lot of questions.  Have you read the 'sticky'?  http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=14654

We have also had a complaint from Compuhigh about breaching their copyright in posts.

Unless you can confirm that this is not one of their homework sheets I shall have to delete it.  Sorry.

I suggest you re-post asking for help about functions.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2017-09-26 01:05:31

iamaditya

What is Compuhigh?

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#6 2017-09-26 01:34:16

zetafunc
Website

CompuHigh is an 'online school' where students can take a range of courses, with help from an instructor. Like many of these platforms, they have homework problems and exam materials, which they claim have been copyrighted. Many students using these services may ask for help on forums such as these, which, as per CompuHigh's policy, is not allowed. We have received numerous complaints in the past from CompuHigh (as well as other sites, such as AoPS) either requesting us to remove these threads or asking the original poster not to plagiarise, and we tend to comply with their requests.

It is a delicate issue: even though we obviously don't want to make enemies of these websites, it is not always easy to tell if a poster is breaching copyright by asking for help. Sometimes when someone posts one of these problems it has ended up launching some interesting mathematical discussions, and having to delete them because of a breach of copyright is a shame. Moreover, to what extent can a maths problem be 'copyrighted'?

#7 2017-09-26 03:08:27

Bob
Administrator

Clearly you couldn't copyright "What is 2 + 2 ?", but this looks like an instance of directly copying and pasting a whole worksheet, not just the questions but the exact wording and possible answers too.  CH typically sets 20 questions per topic, with 5 multi-choice, alternative answers, so this post fits their format.  I suspect they can afford good lawyers, so I wouldn't like this to be tested in court.  sad

Anyway, posting 20 questions like this is not a good way to seek help on this forum.  We don't do peoples homework for them !!! CH claim they have a tutorial system, so students of their courses should be asking for help there.  The marks from each set of  20 questions are used to determine the student's progress and certificates awarded from these alone.  So a student who 'cheats' by getting answers from someone can gain certification without any real understanding of the work.  I do not wish to be a party to that sort of thing.

There's a simple way to get help here.  Post a single question, explaining why 'you' cannot do it.  Get help and try to solve it.  Get more help if necessary.  Then try the next one on your own and post your answer, asking someone to check it.  If it's right, you've mastered the topic.

Thompsonnn: You've posted the work, but since made no comment.  If I've made a mistake, please explain and we can get going with the help.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer