Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-13 10:46:55

sassytonigirl

*NEED Help with STATS*

I HAVE MOST OF THEM COMPLETED ON MY  NEXT ASSIGNMENT I AM JUST HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE 5 BELOW.  ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! 

A survey found that women's heights are normally distributed with mean 63.5 in and standard deviation 2.2 in. A branch of the military requires women's heights to be between 58 in and 80 in.

a. Find the percentage of women meeting the height requirement. Are many women being denied the opportunity to join this branch of the military because they are too short or too tall?
b. If this branch of the military changes the height requirements so that all women are eligible except the shortest 1% and the tallest 2%, what are the new height requirements?

a. The percentage of women who meet the height requirement is ____________%.(Round to two decimal places as needed.)

Are many women being denied the opportunity to join this branch of the military because they are too short or too tall?

A. Yes, because the percentage of women who meet the height requirement is fairly large.
     B. No, because the percentage of women who meet the height requirement is fairly small.
     C. No, because only a small percentage of women are not allowed to join this branch of the military because of their height.
     D. Yes, because a large percentage of women are not allowed to join this branch of the military because of their height.

b. For the new height requirements, this branch of the military requires women's heights to be AT LEAST ________inches and AT MOST________inches.  (Round to one decimal place as needed.)

Assume that the significance level is alpha equals α=0.1. Use the given information to find the P-value and the critical value(s).
With H 1 : p≠ 1/2, the test statistic is z = −1.33.

P-value = ______________(Round to four decimal places as needed.)

The critical value(s) is/are ____________. (Round to three decimal places as needed. Use a comma to separate answers as needed.)

In a study of pregnant women and their ability to correctly predict the gender of their baby, 57 of the pregnant women had 12 years of education or less, and 42.1% of them correctly predicted the gender of their baby. Use a 0.010 significance level to test the claim that these women have no ability to predict the gender of their baby, and the results are not significantly different from those that would be expected with random guesses. Identify the null hypothesis, alternative hypothesis, test statistic, P-value, conclusion about the null hypothesis, and final conclusion that addresses the original claim. Use the P-value method. Use the normal distribution as an approximation of the binomial distribution.
Identify the null and alternative hypotheses. Choose the correct answer below.
A.
H0: p=0.421
H1: p≠0.421

B.
H0: p=0.5
H1: p<0.5

C.
H1: p>0.421

D.
H1: p<0.421

E.
H1: p≠0.5

F.
H1: p>0.5

The test statistic is z =____________. (Round to two decimal places as needed.)

The P-value is ______________. (Round to four decimal places as needed.)

Identify the conclusion about the null hypothesis and the final conclusion that addresses the original claim.

▼ REJECT _________or FAIL TO REJECT___________ H0.

There ▼ IS____________or IS NOT_______________ sufficient evidence to warrant rejection of the claim that these women have no ability to predict the gender of their baby. The results for these women with 12 years of education or less suggests that their percentage of correct predictions ▼ IS NOT _________ or IS_________ very different from results expected with random guesses.

Assume that a simple random sample has been selected from a normally distributed population and test the given claim. Identify the null and alternative hypotheses, test statistic, P-value, and state the final conclusion that addresses the original claim.

A simple random sample of 25 filtered 100 mm cigarettes is obtained, and the tar content of each cigarette is measured. The sample has a mean of 18.4mg and a standard deviation of 3.88 mg. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg, which is the mean for unfiltered king size cigarettes. What do the results suggest, if anything, about the effectiveness of the filters?

What are the hypotheses?
A. H0: μ<21.1 mg
    H1: μ≥21.1 mg

B. H0: μ=21.1 mg
    H1: u≥21.1 mg

C. H0: μ=21.1 mg
    H1: μ<21.1 mg

D. H0: μ>21.1 mg

Identify the test statistic.
t =________ (Round to three decimal places as needed.)

Identify the P-value.
The P-value is ________.(Round to four decimal places as needed.)

State the final conclusion that addresses the original claim. Choose the correct answer below.

A. Fail to reject H0. There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.
  B. Reject H0. There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.
  C. Fail to reject H0. There is insufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1mg.
  D. Reject H0. There is insufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.

A_________B___________C__________ OR D_____________

What do the results suggest, if anything, about the effectiveness of the filters?
    A.  The results suggest that the filtered cigarettes have the same tar content as unfiltered king size cigarettes.
    B.  The results do not suggest that the filters are effective.
    C.  The results suggest that the filters increase the tar content.
    D.  The results suggest that the filters are effective.
    E.  The results are inconclusive because the sample size is less than 30.

A_________B_________C___________D__________ OR E____________

Suppose IQ scores were obtained from randomly selected couplescouples. For 20 such pairs of people,
the linear correlation coefficient is 0.913 and the equation of the regression line y=−8.35+1.06x,
where x represents the IQ score of the wifewife. Also, the 20 x values have a mean of 98.11 and the 20 y
values have a mean of 95.4.

What is the best predicted IQ of the husbandhusband, given that the wifewife has an IQ of 98? Use a significance level of 0.05.

The best predicted IQ of the husband is ____________. (Round to two decimal places as needed.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

#2 2016-02-14 04:18:16

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: *NEED Help with STATS*

Hi;

a) I am getting 99.38%

C. No, because only a small percentage of women are not allowed to join this branch of the military because of their height.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2016-02-14 14:22:36

sassytonigirl

I ended up getting 99.37%  I guess that is close enough?  At first I couldn't figure out how I was getting an answer so different than yours but then I seen I was working it with a Standard Deviation of 2.5 instead of 2.2!  LOL 

WHAT DID YOU GET FOR 1 b).???  The new height requirements? 

Thanks

#4 2016-02-14 15:21:00

sassytonigirl

For  #1 C....i ended up getting

At least 58.4 inches and at most 68.0 inches.  Is this what you got? 

Thanks

#5 2016-02-14 21:15:05

bobbym
bumpkin

For 1b I got 58.3 and 68 inches.

#6 2016-02-15 01:10:07

sassytonigirl

cool!  THANKS...so number 1 is done!

Let compare some more answers....for #3 I got

D.   H0: p= 0.50
      H1: p not equal to 0.50

The test statistic is z =  -1.19

The P value is 0.2332

There ▼ IS____________or IS NOT_______________ sufficient evidence to warrant rejection of the claim that these women have no ability to predict the gender of their baby. The results for these women with 12 years of education or less suggests that their percentage of correct predictions ▼ IS NOT _________ or IS_________ very different from results expected with random guesses.

*********for this part I got "FAIL TO REJECT H0"      and        "IS NOT" sufficient evidence to warrant rejection. 

I CANNOT FIGURE OUT THIS LAST PART OF THIS QUESTION.    IS NOT/IS very different from results expected with random guesses.  What do you think?  Do my answers above look correct for this problem. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i got    112.23        is that correct? 

Thanks!  I still have 2 and 4 to figure out.

#7 2016-02-15 05:06:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I got D also.

#8 2016-02-15 05:12:55

sassytonigirl

what about that word problem??  I think I got the first 2 blanks correct but I don't know about the last part.  IS.....Or........IS NOT very different results
expected with random guesses

#9 2016-02-15 05:16:12

bobbym
bumpkin

What word problem?

I am thinking that B might be a better answer.

B.
H1: p<0.5

#10 2016-02-15 05:27:56

sassytonigirl

*********for this part I got "FAIL TO REJECT H0"      and        "IS NOT" sufficient evidence to warrant rejection.
I CANNOT FIGURE OUT THIS LAST PART OF THIS QUESTION.    IS NOT/IS very different from results expected with random guesses.  What do you think?  Do my answers above look correct for this problem.

#11 2016-02-15 05:31:00

sassytonigirl

IS NOT _________ or IS_________ very different from results expected is what I am having trouble with. 
i have to chose "is not" or "is"

I thk I have the first 2 parts of the words problem correct

#12 2016-02-15 06:27:00

sassytonigirl

If you can help me with the last part of this question with the "is not" or "is" along with
#2 and #4 I think I will be good. 

for #2 I got
p= 0.1835
critical values -1.645, 1.645

#13 2016-02-15 07:47:08

sassytonigirl

Have you been able to work on #4 also?
THANKS

#14 2016-02-15 09:03:45

bobbym
bumpkin

IS NOT _________ or IS_________ very different from results expected is what I am having trouble with.
i have to chose "is not" or "is"

I am getting using a binomial test that this percentage of women or more could guess right at about 90%. That means it happens almost all the time just by chance. Therefore I would say is not

#15 2016-02-15 11:32:00

sassytonigirl

can you help me with #2 and #4.....Below is what I got for #2.

for #2 I got
p= 0.1835
critical values -1.645, 1.645

IS THIS CORRECT??

#4 I GOT

T= -3.479
P-value i am confused as to if if the answer is 9.6935 or 0.00097

Thanks!

#16 2016-02-15 14:46:52

sassytonigirl

*****Trying to get this figured out so I can turn this stuff in******************
*****IS THIS CORRECT********????

I am getting

T= -3.479
P= 9.6935

p value 9.6935 > 0.05 so we

A. Fail to reject H0. There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.

AND....

************CORRECT OR NO?**************
Assume that a simple random sample has been selected from a normally distributed population and test the given claim. Identify the null and alternative hypotheses, test statistic, P-value, and state the final conclusion that addresses the original claim.
A simple random sample of 25 filtered 100 mm cigarettes is obtained, and the tar content of each cigarette is measured. The sample has a mean of 18.4mg and a standard deviation of 3.88 mg. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg, which is the mean for unfiltered king size cigarettes. What do the results suggest, if anything, about the effectiveness of the filters?
What are the hypotheses?
B. H0: μ=21.1 mg
    H1: u≥21.1 mg
C. H0: μ=21.1 mg
D. H0: μ>21.1 mg
Identify the test statistic.
t =________ (Round to three decimal places as needed.)
Identify the P-value.
The P-value is ________.(Round to four decimal places as needed.)

State the final conclusion that addresses the original claim. Choose the correct answer below.

B. Reject H0. There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.
  C. Fail to reject H0. There is insufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1mg.
  D. Reject H0. There is insufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean tar content of filtered 100 mm cigarettes is less than 21.1 mg.
A_________B___________C__________ OR D_____________

What do the results suggest, if anything, about the effectiveness of the filters?
    A.  The results suggest that the filtered cigarettes have the same tar content as unfiltered king size cigarettes.
    C.  The results suggest that the filters increase the tar content.
    D.  The results suggest that the filters are effective.
    E.  The results are inconclusive because the sample size is less than 30.
A_________B_________C___________D__________ OR E____________

#17 2016-02-15 14:59:57

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

How did you get that P? I am getting a 75% chance that P is less than 21.1

#18 2016-02-16 01:04:27

sassytonigirl

I put it in the T184.  Have I done something very wrong?

#19 2016-02-16 05:08:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hmmmm, that is the only TI calculator I never used. I am afraid that is the best I can do on that problem.

#20 2016-02-16 05:38:12

sassytonigirl

i figured it out.  It was 0.0010.  Thanks for All your help.

#21 2016-02-16 06:02:34

bobbym
bumpkin

Then please explain it to me.

Board footer