Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-30 08:13:14

Reuel

Question on Matrix Terminology

Hey.

I haven't been here in a while. I like the new forum look.

I have a question about terminology where matrices are concerned. Of course, a coefficient matrix will be a matrix that gives the coefficients to a system of equations and may or may not be augmented or homogeneous, if I am using the terminology correctly.

My question: what is a matrix with variables called? That is, not a matrix of coefficients that corresponds to a linear system; rather, what is a matrix that contains variables called?

Random example: Suppose a person were to encounter a matrix that looks something like this:

where x,y are real variables and x1,y1∈R. What kind of matrix is M? Not a matrix of coefficients, nor a matrix that corresponds to a linear system (I don't think?) but a... ? matrix.

Incidentally, I chose M because

solved for y yields a linear function through the origin.

While I am here, does a semicolon mean "to solve for"? I have seen it in various contexts and I was wondering if det(M)=0;y would properly mean "to solve for y".

Thanks!

Last edited by Reuel (2014-10-30 08:14:38)

#2 2014-10-30 12:12:15

Olinguito

Re: Question on Matrix Terminology

Reuel wrote:

My question: what is a matrix with variables called? That is, not a matrix of coefficients that corresponds to a linear system; rather, what is a matrix that contains variables called?

Random example: Suppose a person were to encounter a matrix that looks something like this:

where x,y are real variables and x1,y1∈R. What kind of matrix is M? Not a matrix of coefficients, nor a matrix that corresponds to a linear system (I don't think?) but a... ? matrix.

That’s just wat it is, a matrix.

Reuel wrote:

While I am here, does a semicolon mean "to solve for"? I have seen it in various contexts and I was wondering if det(M)=0;y would properly mean "to solve for y".

I’ve never seen anything like this before so I don’t know what it means.

Bassaricyon neblina

Board footer