Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-01 15:16:35

headhurts

why do people keep throwing the ball up?

Q. If a ball is thrown vertically upwards with velocity 28 m/sec, its height (in metres) after t seconds is given by y=28t−4.9t^2. Find the velocity at t = 2.

I do know how to solve this problem... as an initial velocity problem, using integration.

However, this question was covered near the beginning of the semester so long before we got to integration so there's obviously some way to figure out the answer without integration.

#2 2014-06-01 17:08:36

gAr

Re: why do people keep throwing the ball up?

Since velocity is (displacement) / (time taken), we need to use differentiation, not integration.

Suppose we don't know differentiation too, then we need to obtain the answer by putting in actual numerics.

Then we can make out that the answer approaches 8.4 m/s.

Last edited by gAr (2014-06-01 17:11:05)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#3 2014-06-01 18:38:45

Bob
Administrator

Must you use that formula?

It comes out easily with

smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2014-06-01 19:15:46

gAr

Yes!
And I thought the initial velocity given was redundant there.
I think the equation was given to obtain the value of 'a', to indirectly say that the ball is thrown on earth-like planet!

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#5 2014-06-02 04:33:17

Bob
Administrator

Well, it is true that it doesn't actually say it's on the Earth.  smile  But the 4.9 is a give away.

Bob

why do people keep throwing the ball up?

Because it keeps coming down again.  roflol

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer