Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-11 04:23:03

gourish

IIT JEE ADVANCE and maths

hi guys... i am having tough time dealing with iit jee maths... can anybody who has attempted it and has been successful please give your precious advice to me... what do i need to practice maths for jee advance exam plus i tried M.L.KHANNA's book it's too huge and time consuming to even solve a single chapter how can i solve them all?

"The man was just too bored so he invented maths for fun"
-some wise guy

#2 2014-03-11 04:41:24

ShivamS

Re: IIT JEE ADVANCE and maths

I took the IIT JEE few years back and cracked the Main and Advanced with All India Rank 52. For maths, stick to the NCERT books as that is practically the whole syllabus upon which the exam is based on. Try using RD Sharma with ML Khanna too. Many students make the mistake of memorizing the formulas and derivations. However, as you'll see from past papers, you actually have to understand it to solve the questions on the JEE. I don't know whether you are taking the JEE this year or next year, but try to avoid cramming. The books (RD Sharma, NCERT etc) are fairly large so reviewing from them will take time. Use someone like plancess.com or meritnation.com to aid in your study (not just for maths, but for all of PCM).

Good luck!

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-03-11 04:51:07)

#3 2014-03-12 00:41:42

gourish

thanks Shivam i am about to write the JEE next year but i have been having trouble trying to solve the problems from M.L.Khanna is there any plan that i should follow to finish the book and it's problem in this limited time period? i would appreciate it if you can tell me how you practiced for maths and chemistry cause physics has been very easy for me

-some wise guy

#4 2014-03-12 01:05:10

ShivamS

I didn't use ML Khanna (just RD Sharma and NCERT), but nonetheless there were some hard problems. When that happened, I used to forget about the time limit and move on while keeping the problem in my head. If after a few days you can't solve it, google it or post it
on a forum like here.

For chemistry, I just used NCERT books. Same stuff applies from above to here.

Don't stress about it too much and don't get bogged down by coaching classes and pressure. I hardly ever took a class. Use sites like plancess or meritnation for some help. Anyways, you have a lot of time left. Just don't procrastinate.

#5 2014-03-12 04:42:14

gourish

thanks Shivam i just needed somebody like you to tell me "take it easy" smile thanks i will try to follow your advice

-some wise guy

#6 2014-03-12 04:48:40

ShivamS

You're welcome. Try not to be stressed at all. Just study a few hours each day. I never studied for the JEE directly - just went through the concepts in the syllabus. By the way, don't memorize all formulae or you'll fail. You will not find a question asking for the electric flux where you only need Gauss' law. You'll need to understand it's derivation, proof/justification and apply it to not-so-obvious problems.

Board footer