Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-06 14:22:37

John.W

Graphing calculator help!

Hello, new member here and i have some questions on graphing calculators and their capabilities.  I am a Geomatics student and have been working as a surveyor for my work term, doing all of my calculations manually on my sharp scientific and good ole graphing paper.  I have had several models recommended to me, and i have to say the HP prime is the most appealing.  I however am not very versed in the capabilities of these units, hence my post.

1) Can CSV spreadsheets be entered into the calc, and used / modified in the spreadsheet app?  can these values be viewed in the geometry app?

2) Can a spreadsheet be made and then saved in the calc, and exported to a computer? Can i export the points that i calculate to a spreadsheet?

3) In the geometry function, if you are to draw two lines, is that angle able to be measured and shown?  What about in DMS format?

4) IS there an ability to hold a line (or two points) amd compute points from that using different functions (bearing distance, distance distance intesections)

5) what about computing Arcs and compound curves?

Im sure i will have more questions.  I have the HP Prime emulator, but i am pretty well lost on it.  I would like to go with a Graphing calculator, but if i cant do the kind of calcs i need on it, a tablet and cad program of some sort may be the way i have to go.

Thanks alot for the help! awesome forums here, bookmarked and will be back again and again

#2 2013-10-06 23:11:15

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Graphing calculator help!

Hi;

Welcome to the forum. I went the way of the graphics calculators all the way to the TI-92. All I can say it was a tremendous waste of money.

Do you have access to a computer, I mean a desktop or laptop?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2013-10-07 11:04:34

John.W

I do at home, but not so much in the field.  Would doing COGO work on a graphing unit require alot of programming?  I dont really have a desire to be loading up a computer every time i need to do some work, most things i can do in a data collector, but it can be clumsy and less then desireable at times, not to mention thats only good in the field, not so much with school problems.

Thanks
- John

#4 2013-10-07 11:48:57

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Would doing COGO work on a graphing unit require alot of programming?

If you have the right one it might not be much. But I have never seen the machine that could handle every problem so expect some.

not to mention thats only good in the field, not so much with school problems.

The more different types of problems the less desirable the prog. calculator will be. The small screen, poor key quality, lack of speed all become significant.

If you are really cut off in your work, separated from electrical power and can not carry around a laptop then you will have go with the one you like best.

The point I am trying to make is for the same amount of money you can have a laptop equipped with programs that will be thousands of times faster, can do much more and graph on a large visible screen.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer