Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-18 02:09:28

John Hagensieker

Graphical Display of Trig Functions.

Hi,

I'll apologize first for not being a math junkie however I test, and certify aircraft visual landing aids.  The math is simple triangle math and not the problem.  The problem is that once I work my glide slope numbers with elevations I have to make a depiction or drawing of the visual landing aid and it's slope.

Is there any kind of software that will allow me to input my equations and create a visual display?

For instance.....To test a glide slope beam a visual landing aid is placed 122.5' from the runway center and 750' from the end of the runway.  The aid projects a 3 degree beam.  We test the beam at 150'

so basically the formula is 1800" x tan (3) + 52" - (H2-H3)

1800*tan(3) gives me the beam height and 52" is how high the beam is from the ground.  H2-H3 is the difference in elevation between where you check the beam and where the visual landing aid is setting.

The math is easy money...........Drawing it for a technical report is not.  I'd love to input the equations and graphically display the results.  Pipe Dream?

Thanks,

John E. Hagensieker

#2 2005-11-18 09:42:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Graphical Display of Trig Functions.

Really great info for everyone ... thanks kylekatarn.

John, could you show us what your drawing has to look like when completed? (If you are a Member you can upload images, as a Guest you link to an image elsewhere on the net using the img tag)

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer