Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2013-08-03 07:24:29

meanmaths

hi

Hi all

I'm from Montreal and I'm a CS/SE(*) researcher with interests in graph theory, NP-hard problems and combinatorial optimisation. During my Ph.D., a minor bug made me accidentally discover "something" that I, probably wrongly, call "number splitting".

Basically, given a number X and a sequence S of digits, can we split S into smaller parts so that the obtained numbers add up (or average) to X?

I don't think this is new territory for maths scholars but I could not find any existing references. May be this is simply not worthy of serious maths investigation. In any case, I made a game out of it: Mean Sumurai on Google Play for people interested [sorry for the plug]. My pseudonym Mean Maths is linked to the game and also my belief that some people out there like their maths to be "mean" and challenging. However, due to family pressure :-D, the game has different difficulty levels. So take a look whatever your actual maths skills ;-P

Best

Mean Maths

(*) Computer Science/Software Engineering

Number Splitter #1
GameMaster of Mean Sumurai @ Google Play

#2 2013-08-03 07:37:40

bobbym
Administrator

Re: hi

Hi;

Welcome to the forum.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#3 2013-08-03 08:09:44

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi meanmaths

Welcome to the forum! smile

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#4 2013-08-03 13:03:36

meanmaths

thx for the welcome :-)

Number Splitter #1
GameMaster of Mean Sumurai @ Google Play

#5 2013-08-03 14:04:18

mathaholic
Star Member

Hola meanmaths;

Bienvenidos!