Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-24 17:15:31

phanthanhtom

Eurovision Microstates

Hi.
Required knowledge:
+ What is a microstate? (a small independent state recognized by other states universally)
+ What are the ten smallest countries in Europe by land area? (Vatican. Monaco, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Montenegro, Slovennia)
+ What are the ten smallest countries in Europe by population? (Vatican, Monaco, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Iceland, Malta, Luxembourg, Montengro, Cyprus)
So, in the above 2 lists, 9 of them are the same. The only difference is Slovennia/Iceland (in fact Slovennia ranks 12th in population but Iceland ranks 33th, way larger than most countries, though here we don't take territories outside Europe into account so Denmark is smaller than Iceland). But Slovennia is never considered a microstate, though Iceland does.
Vatican, Monaco, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Andorra are for now considered obvious, for their unique history has led to their independence today.
+ Vatican is the ruins of the former larger Papal States of Middle Italy
+ Monaco is a small principality independent since at least 1419, the purchase of Monaco by the House of Grimaldi
+ San Marino has been independent since 301
+ Liechtenstein, lying between Switzerland and Austro-Hungary, is the last surviving member of the Holy Roman Empire (Luxembourg was independent because at the time of German Unification it was ruled by the Dutch king)
+ Andorra has been a co-principality since 1278
The other 5 countries are not irregularities of history - Malta and Cyprus was small because it was islandic, the former Kingdom of Montenegro hold significant powers around the time of the Balkan War in the early 20th century, Luxembourg was always important in Europe since it abandoned neutral policy in 1948, and Iceland was small because of its cold climate. Also the original 5 has always been reluctant to joining organizations, the only exceptions so far have been the UN, WTO, Council of Europe and a few others (in the case of the Vatican, there is no exception at all). However Malta and Cyprus are both members of the EU, Montenegro a candidate of EU and NATO, and Iceland NATO member and EU candidate (Nordic Council is a small regional organisation and excluded), of course Luxembourg member of both.
So in my view there's only 5. What about you?

#2 2013-06-25 00:39:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Eurovision Microstates

Looks thorough but according to what I read there are really only 3. But I suggest you hand in the report just as you wrote it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2013-06-25 01:36:45

phanthanhtom

The requirement for the report is neutral opinion.
What are your 3? Andorra and Liechtenstein excluded?

#4 2013-06-25 01:41:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Only the Vatican out of your list.

#5 2013-06-25 02:12:19

phanthanhtom

Now I understand. The title was a ridiculous mistake. Of we were saying Eurovision Microstates then Liechtenstein has to be excluded too.

#6 2013-06-25 03:06:21

bobbym
bumpkin

You can pick any combination of your ten and be okay. I would leave out the Vatican because I would not consider it a microstate.

Board footer