Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2013-06-24 22:44:46

ShivamS

Tangent Vector practice problems

Please check the following.

Vector r = (e^3t, sin(2t), t^2)

What is vector r(t) prime? I am getting (3e^3t, 2cos(2t), 2t)

Compute the unit tangent vector T(t) and do not simplify the answer. I get vector T(t) = (3e^3t, 2cos(2t), 2t) divided by square root of (9e^6t + 4cos^2(2t) +4t^2)

Thanks in advance.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#2 2013-06-24 23:06:47

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Tangent Vector practice problems

That look correct! smile

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2013-06-24 23:41:33

ShivamS

Thanks a lot.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#4 2013-06-25 00:34:15

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You're welcome.

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#5 2013-06-25 00:52:04

ShivamS

More stuff: g(t) = 4t+1  what is d/dt r(g9t))

I get 4{3e^3(4t+1), 2cos[2(4t+1)], 2(4t+1)}

#6 2013-06-25 02:24:41

bob bundy

hi

r(g9t)) I take it that's r(g(t)) so chain rule

dr/dt = dr/dg x dg/dt

Take the first component.  I'm thinking that is

Or am, I mixing up here?

so

diff gives

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#7 2013-06-25 02:26:29

ShivamS

d/dt r(g(t)) = g'(t)r'(g(t)) = d/dt(4t+1)r'(4t+1)

#8 2013-06-25 02:27:05

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi Shivamcoder3013

I would say that is correct as well.

#9 2013-06-25 02:27:40

bob bundy

Sorry I put an edit in above.

Please look.  smile

Back later

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#10 2013-06-25 02:28:49

ShivamS

Thanks.

Last edited by Shivamcoder3013 (2013-06-25 02:28:56)

#11 2013-06-25 03:31:03

bob bundy

hi Shivamcoder3013

Your notation is confusing me.  I'd do this like this:

Bob

#12 2013-06-25 07:42:13

ShivamS

That is not different from my answer.

#13 2013-06-25 17:14:18

bob bundy

hi Shivamcoder3013

Oh, that's a big relief for me.  Somehow, I missed that.  Sorry I've dragged this thread out longer than was necessary  smile

Bob.

#14 2013-06-27 09:59:14

ShivamS

No problem. Thanks both of you.

Board footer