Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-10 13:49:32

infinitebrain

Vector Problem

Ima Hyker is camped out in the forest. After breakfast she walks 16 km on a bearing
of 327° then she walks 12 km on a bearing of 237°. What bearing will Ima have to
walk to head straight back to her camp? (nearest degree)

I know how to work it mathematically, but I need a good visual representation smile! Could any of you do me a favor and graph it to show me to you can graphically look at this?

The best thing about life is you don't know what to expect

#2 2012-12-10 14:40:41

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Vector Problem

Hi infinitebrain;

I know nothing about bearings. I get lost going around the corner. I navigate by taking a big ball of twine with me and letting it out as I go. Then I follow it back. I do not use bread crumbs because wasting food is wrong.

Here is what I drew:

View Image: 2012-12-10_183953.gif

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#3 2012-12-10 19:55:33

bob bundy

hi infinitebrain,

To avoid confusion amongst navigators, and so that they can use a magnetic compass to determine which way to go, bearings are measured clockwise from North.

I have made a sketch of the problem.  The distances and angles are not accurately shown.

Bob

View Image: infinitebrain4.gif

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#4 2012-12-11 12:43:17

infinitebrain

Thank you bob and bobbym! You've both been a enormous help! big_smile

The best thing about life is you don't know what to expect

Board footer