Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-09 09:12:55

Mathegocart

Math Cats

On math Cats theres lots of interactive stuff
but this is my fav.
http://www.mathcats.com/explore/encyclo/encyclogram.html
its really fun.roflol

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#2 2012-12-09 10:01:51

Bob
Administrator

Re: Math Cats

hi mathgogocart

Thanks for the link; that's a great site.

Way, way back when I did A level physics I learnt about lissajous figures.  We had a double pendulum (imagine a kid's swing with another smaller one attached below it but swinging at 90 degrees to the first.  Below pendulum two was a leaky sandbag so that as each pendulum was set swinging the resultant trace of the trail of sand was a lissajous figure.

I thought that was quite fun.  But then the dark ages passed and they invented computers.  smile  And I wrote a 10 line BASIC program to make the figures with the two rates of swing as independent variables.  It was for a competition where you had to make a program that did something useful in 10 lines.  (I didn't win because I was the teacher, setting up the task,  and it was my demo) 

Basically you just need two sine curves, one for the x coordinate and a different one for the y coordinate.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-12-09 10:47:02

Mathegocart

Re: Math Cats

Awesome.

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

Board footer