Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-10 09:03:44

Calligar

Hi, I'm Evan

Hi, I've realized that even though I've been here for a little bit, I still haven't introduced myself yet, and feel as though I should.  So yeah, I am Evan, age 19, currently out of school and living with my older brother at the moment.  I joined this forum because, if it wasn't already obvious, I love math!  My friend in college said one of his professors made him use this website for something, I can't remember for what, and that's how I found out about it (I don't know the name of the professor, so sorry, I can't give you any details). 

I really feel as though I have a strong understanding in all I've learned in math thus far, but unfortunately am a little behind then where I should be as well due to...school related issues I had to go through when I was still in school.  Ever since I've gotten out of school, I've spent quite some time learning math on my own.  Some of you (like bobbym) might recognize me already mostly for my probably biggest argument on here at the time when I joined with the one topic talking about 3.333...+6.666...=9.999...and 10.  I was trying to argue that it did not also equal 10, and used things I didn't fully understand at the time like infinitesimals to back me up, only to eventually admit defeat.

I left for quite some time because I felt I couldn't properly argue this anymore and continued the battle against my brother, even coming up with my own system to how it would work.  Though, arguing with my brother made me realize how I couldn't really argue it.  But I am back now, because I believe I can still learn a lot more, and help those who don't understand things (that I DO know) to understand them better.  I might not be in school at the moment, but that doesn't stop me from learning and wanting to know more, along with helping others IF I can.

So to wrap this fairly long...introduction up, I just mostly wanted to make it a little more clear as to who I really was and well...introduce myself.  I hope I can eventually be more knowledgeable and become a more valuable member, because as another lover of math, a forum all about it just seems awesome!  I'd also like to note that I really like the friendly community, as I have been on other forums, that....well let's just say not as friendly.

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#2 2012-10-10 12:39:29

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Hi, I'm Evan

Hi;

Welcome to the forum, again...

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-10-10 18:53:25

Bob
Administrator

hi Calligar,

I'd also like to note that I really like the friendly community

I think that's how most of us feel.  smile

You have been with us a while but, hey, why not say now:

Welcome to the forum!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2012-10-10 18:58:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Calligar,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2012-10-11 01:01:46

ShivamS

Hi Calligar, nice introduction.

#6 2012-10-11 09:39:28

Calligar

You think so?  Thank you.

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#7 2012-10-15 02:54:05

ShivamS

You're welcome.

Board footer