Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-21 08:11:01

amberzak

Unit Circle Pythagorean Identities

I'm finishing my essay on the Unit Circle, and I just have a really quick question if someone could oblige.

The pythagorian identities in the unit circle state that, for example, cos^2 theta + sin^2 theta = 1. Does this work when you move all the way around the circle (for example, when the angle is 90 degrees, the triangle in the circle is just a line, so cos will be 0)

Don't think outside the box. Think there is no box

#2 2012-03-21 12:18:39

Bob
Administrator

Re: Unit Circle Pythagorean Identities

hi amberzak,

Yes, this identity is true for all theta (even beyond 360).

eg. If theta = 135, then sin theta = (root 2) / 2 and cos theta = minus (root 2) / 2

Then when you square these, the minus goes and you have 2 / 4 + 2 / 4 = 1 same as if theta = 45.

Since sine and cosine take the same values in the other quadrants if you ignore the minus signs this will happen for all theta.

Can write this out in a formal proof if you want.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-03-21 20:44:37

amberzak

Re: Unit Circle Pythagorean Identities

No, thats perfect thanks. I wrote that it's always true and I just wanted to make sure what I wrote was accurate. Thanks

Don't think outside the box. Think there is no box

Board footer