Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-27 01:49:47

silverpuma

another question to check please

Hi all,  Another question from the GCSE book that I'm going through.  I'm not sure the answer in the book is correct so I would be thankful if someone could look at it and confirm if I'm mistaken........again...LOL

It is question 3 a 

I got B and F

The book says C and E

My understanding of congruent was that the size, angles and shape needed to be exactly the same?

Thanks

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#2 2011-06-27 01:52:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: another question to check please

Hi;

I like B and F also. C and E are not congruent.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-06-27 01:54:12

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I agree with bobbym.I think you are right, silverpuma.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#4 2011-06-27 02:06:23

silverpuma

Thanks guys on to rotational symmetry now:D  I found some of the "Nets" a bit difficult I had to give 2 Nets for a Right angled Triangular prism and my 1.5 brain cells started to smoke.  Eventually I got the two correct but it took my far too long, practice, practice and some more practice...........dizzy

One thing I did notice Bobbym was that there was not much on the site dealing with NETS for the more standard shapes.  I have looked at the page on Platonic solids and that was helpful but a few of the not so unusual would be great. Mind though that's not in any way a criticism, I'm a very, very satisfied and thankful member.

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#5 2011-06-27 02:14:02

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi silverpuma;

MIF does all that work by himself. He puts those pages together. Maybe he will someday have some free time to put more.

#6 2011-06-27 02:34:13

Bob
Administrator

hi silverpuma

practice, practice and some more practice

If you post a solid, I'll take you through the net  step by step

OR  I'll find some for you to try.

Just say the word,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2011-06-27 02:38:18

silverpuma

bobbym wrote:

Hi silverpuma;

MIF does all that work by himself. He puts those pages together. Maybe he will someday have some free time to put more.

What or who does " MIF" stand for?

I understand completely and as I said above I am truly grateful for the  help so far.  As we both know the web is full of maths forum and website but for me I have found the clear and well illustrated modules here the best for my learning.   I have looked for a donate page/paypal but can't see anything as I'd like to gift the owner of the site the price of Starbucks as a small token of appreciation.  Is there away to do that Bobbym?

#8 2011-06-27 02:42:36

anonimnystefy
Real Member

MIF stands for MathIsFun which is the name of the administrator of the forum and the name of the forum itself.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#9 2011-06-27 02:43:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Sorry for the abbreviation, he is none other than MathsIsFun, the administrator.

Is there away to do that Bobbym?

I will direct him to this thread. He can answer your questions. Is that satisfactory?

#10 2011-06-27 02:53:30

silverpuma

bobbym wrote:

Hi;

Sorry for the abbreviation, he is none other than MathsIsFun, the administrator.

Is there away to do that Bobbym?

I will direct him to this thread. He can answer your questions. Is that satisfactory?

Thanks..........

#11 2011-06-27 02:55:10

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi silverpuma;

Bob Bundy has left you a message in post #6.

#12 2011-06-27 03:12:00

silverpuma

bobbym wrote:

Hi silverpuma;

Bob Bundy has left you a message in post #6.

Thanks Bobbym for spotting that for me.  In the flurry of posts there I missed that one.

Right Bob, first thanks for the offer.  What I'm looking for is  clues or tips I can use on most nets.  For example I saw on Cube nets as long as I had one face on each side of the 4 faces in a row that made up the cube spine it would work.  I completed a few triangular prisms and they were fairly straightforward but for some reason I found the right angles triangular prism a bit confusing especially having to show two different nets for the one shape.  Am I correct in thinking you can one have 2 Nets for any right angles triangular prism?

A few shapes but I don't want to be a nuisance Bob so feel free to say sorry can't help at this time...........

I can get the first Net ok its the second one I get a bit confused with.

Last edited by silverpuma (2011-06-27 03:13:13)

#13 2011-06-27 04:13:56

Bob
Administrator

hi silverpuma,

One thing that I think will help is to get some card and try making them.  You could always work together with your ten year old, then you've got an excuse if anyone else wonders what you're up to at your age.  smile

To make a solid from a net you need to add 'tabs'; ie. extra bits to the edges for glueing.  Not every edge will need its own tab, so it's a good exercise, just working out which ones.  Or do it the lazy way and put tabs on all edges, then cut off the ones you didn't need.

When you talked about the cube you referred to the 'spine' of the solid.  That's a good start.  All prisms have an end shape; for a cube the end shape is a square;  and for all the triangular prisms it's a triangle.  Then the ends have to be joined by rectangles.

The rectangles will all be as long as the 'spine' and their widths will be fixed by the lengths of the sides of the end shape.

So for the last prism in your examples I started with three rectangles in the middle.  They are all 8 cm long.  One has a width of 2.5 cm; one is 6 cm; and the last is 6.5 cm wide.

Imagine making that in card and 'scoring' the lines to make it fold nicely.  Fold it round and you've got a tube (bit like a distorted Toblerone tube).  If you wanted to make this, one 8 cm long tab along either the 2.5 x 8 rectangle or the 6.5 x 8 rectangle would allow you to stick it.

Then you need the ends.  I joined one triangle at each end using the 6 cm edge.  If making it you'd need tabs on the 6.5 and 2.5 edges of the rectangles so you could fold the end in and stick it.  Same at the far end.

You'll know if it's right because your finished solid will look like the picture in the question.

So, to summarise,  make the tube, then add the ends.

There will always be other ways of doing it, because you could join the triangles along the 6.5 edge or the 2.5 edge, or one of each.

You can also have more complicated nets that still work.  After all; it just has to be 3 rectangles and 2 triangles of the right sizes, that fold up to make the solid.  That's the ultimate test.  Does it make the solid?

When you've thought about this one, I've found a GCSE question that will lead us to lesson 2.

Post back,

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-06-27 04:16:32)

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#14 2011-06-27 04:35:30

Bob
Administrator

hi again,

Thought I'd have a go at a 'more complicated' net for the same solid.  But I ran out of space on screen to fit it all in.  So I've shrunk it a bit to fit it in.  Some loss of picture quality.

Notice it has the same 3 rectangles and 2 triangles, still joined along 'matching' edges, but in an unusual position.  Any answer will get you the marks so you wouldn't have to do it like this.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-06-27 04:41:57)

#15 2011-06-27 13:39:10

silverpuma

still joined along 'matching' edges, but in an unusual position

Aaaah..........This was the phrase that jumped out at me.  I would never have seen that "unusual" Net so its opened my eyes up to how I look at these problems now.  And you're explanation was crystal clear.  I've tried a few more and the light is beginning to dawn in that void between my ears;)  Seriously though Bob thank you for this help, its appreciated .

#16 2011-06-27 19:49:15

Bob
Administrator

hi silverpuma,

I'm very happy to help.

See how you get on with the question below.  Post back and I'll give you some more help.

Bob

#17 2011-06-28 01:59:31

silverpuma

Bob,  The ansewer to the question is:

A = 8

B = C

I did out the nets for the 4 shapes for practice using Paint but my drawing skills needs some workeek

#18 2011-06-28 02:03:13

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi silverpuma

i think your answers are correct.The same holds for the nets.

#19 2011-06-28 02:57:08

Bob
Administrator

hi silverpuma,

Yes, all correct!  Well done!  smile

Supplementary question on these solids:

Definition of a Prism:

A solid object that has two identical ends and all flat sides.

The cross section is the same all along its length.

Definition of a Pyramid:

The base is a polygon (a straight-sided flat shape)

The sides are triangles which meet at the top (the apex).

So for each of the solids in the question,  (i) say what it's name is  and (ii) say if it's a prism, a pyramid, or neither.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-06-28 02:57:56)

#20 2011-06-28 20:29:07

silverpuma

bob bundy wrote:

hi silverpuma,

Yes, all correct!  Well done!  smile

Supplementary question on these solids:

Definition of a Prism:

A solid object that has two identical ends and all flat sides.

The cross section is the same all along its length.

Definition of a Pyramid:

The base is a polygon (a straight-sided flat shape)

The sides are triangles which meet at the top (the apex).

So for each of the solids in the question,  (i) say what it's name is  and (ii) say if it's a prism, a pyramid, or neither.

Bob

Bob, Iassume you are talking about the 4 shapes in the images you posted above?

A = Cube / Prism

B = Cylinder / Not a Prism

C = Square based Pyramid / Not a Prism

D = Triangular Prism / Prism

This has been really helpful Bob and I think I have a resonable grasp for now.  I took your advice and cut out some paper nets or cubes, rectangles and pryrimds etc and this made things very clear for me.  Now its decimals for lunch LOL

#21 2011-06-29 01:48:25

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi silverpuma

i think those are correct answers.

#22 2011-06-29 06:33:05

Bob
Administrator

hi silverpuma,

Sorry about the late reply.  I've been without my broadband connection all day.  Just 'borrowed' another wi fi. (legally of course!!)

Opinions differ about whether a cylinder is also a  prism (limiting case of a polygon with infinite sides) and whether a cone is a pyramid.

I used the MIF definitions.

When you get to the formulas for the volume of these solids the cylinder and cone share the same type of formula as the prisms and pyramids respectively.  But I'm jumping ahead many lessons I suspect.

Yes, all correct.  Glad you feel you are getting the hang of it.

Want one last net?  smile

See below.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-06-29 06:37:14)

#23 2011-06-30 14:30:10

silverpuma

bob bundy wrote:

hi silverpuma,

Sorry about the late reply.  I've been without my broadband connection all day.  Just 'borrowed' another wi fi. (legally of course!!)

Opinions differ about whether a cylinder is also a  prism (limiting case of a polygon with infinite sides) and whether a cone is a pyramid.

I used the MIF definitions.

When you get to the formulas for the volume of these solids the cylinder and cone share the same type of formula as the prisms and pyramids respectively.  But I'm jumping ahead many lessons I suspect.

Yes, all correct.  Glad you feel you are getting the hang of it.

Want one last net?  smile

See below.

Bob

Hi Bob,  Image attached.  Just wondering as this according to MIF is not a prism what would it be called..............A hexagonal Pyramid ?  Thanks again for the nets help its been appreciatedup

#24 2011-06-30 21:23:27

anonimnystefy
Real Member

correct.yes actually that is what it is called.

#25 2011-06-30 21:42:58

silverpuma

anonimnystefy wrote:

correct.yes actually that is what it is called.

Thanks anonimnystefy no major blips this time LOL

Board footer