Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-19 17:15:38

silverpuma

Wow I'm amazed and very thankful

I'm a mature student aged 52 left school with zero qualifications. But am now just beginning to teach myself GCSE Maths. This has grown out of helping my 10 yr son with his maths as he prepares for the equivalent of the old 11+/transfer exam (I'm from N Ireland).  I'm amazed how much I love exploring this new world of numbers.  For my leisure and bedtime reading its now prime Factors or negative numbers instead of, well anything rather than maths....!!  I "think" I may have reasonably good but basic numeracy skills (began and ran 3 successful business etc).

I'm beginning at 10-11 year old level to make sure I have the foundation correct and then move swiftly to GCSE maths level.  I'll be learning at home so I need to teach myself through helps and books and website etc. So I have a number of websites saved of the  video and text varieties and this is the one I come back to all the time.  Your clear explanations are wonderful.  So from a grateful old codger like me please accept my appreciation :-)

Last edited by silverpuma (2011-06-19 19:58:32)

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#2 2011-06-19 17:55:21

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Wow I'm amazed and very thankful

Hi silverpuma;

Welcome to the forum!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-06-19 18:22:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Welcome silverpuma, but "old codger" doesn't start until 80 at least! I know someone who started a whole new career at 60.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2011-06-19 19:33:14

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi silverpuma,

Thanks for your views on the website and the forum.

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer