Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 12:16:07

gr8girl101

Long Division

Hi,
I am in 4th grade, and I do not get long division AT ALL. My math teacher was trying to explain it to me, and I had no clue what she was talking about. Oh, and does anyone know any good ways to memorize your times tables?
Thanks,
Gr8Girl101 tonguelol:)

"Never Never Never give up!"
-Winston Churchill
~~~~~~~~~♥☺☮☀~~~~~~~♡✌❖✬~~~~~~~~~~GO NY JETS!!!~~~~~~~

#2 2011-02-03 14:46:56

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Long Division

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-02-03 21:34:28

Bob
Administrator

Hi gr8girl101

Can you do 'short division' ?  Or any division at all.  Maybe tell me one you can do first so I can pitch in at the right level for you.

Long division isn't so bad once you see what's going on.

Post back soon.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2011-02-04 03:19:51

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Try this link to understand
http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division.html

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#5 2011-02-04 08:21:37

gr8girl101

bob bundy wrote:

Hi gr8girl101

Can you do 'short division' ?  Or any division at all.  Maybe tell me one you can do first so I can pitch in at the right level for you.

Long division isn't so bad once you see what's going on.

Post back soon.

Bob

Thanks! I looked at the long division page on Mathisfun, and I get it now! When I went to math class today, I could show my friends how to do it. Thanks bobbym for the link to the multiplication page. I use the math trainer frequently.
-Gr8Girlroflol

"Never Never Never give up!"
-Winston Churchill
~~~~~~~~~♥☺☮☀~~~~~~~♡✌❖✬~~~~~~~~~~GO NY JETS!!!~~~~~~~

#6 2011-02-04 08:58:05

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi gr8girl101;

Your very welcome!

#7 2011-02-09 01:44:38

Geoff Wales

I had at a look at the long division page. While I can understand the use of the take away rows, they make it look awfully complicated. Why not just learn to transfer the remainder to make a new ten?

EG

25 ) 425

25 into 42 goes 1, remainder 17, (write a small 17 to the left of the 5) which then becomes 175, etc...

25 into 175 goes 7, remainder 0

Much quicker...

Mind you, they need to test answers in the old way: 25 x 6 is too small, etc.

#8 2011-02-09 02:00:45

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Geoff Wales;

Depends on how you were taught. I do it the way you know.

#9 2011-02-09 08:16:44

Bob
Administrator

hi Geoff Wales,

While I can understand the use of the take away rows, they make it look awfully complicated. Why not just learn to transfer the remainder to make a new ten?

No reason why all divisions shouldn't be done this way; but as the divisors get bigger, it gets harder to keep track of the remainders and squeeze them into the small space.

So called 'long division' isn't a new way of doing the problem, it is just a more stylised way of setting out the stages.  The advantage, if it is done properly, is that you are less likely to slip up with the calculation of a remainder, or putting the right numbers into the quotient space.  I have seen lots of errors when the quotient digit is zero for example.

It's not surprising that pupils take an instant dislike to long division because they meet short division first and get the hang of it, then the numbers get much harder and they have to learn this new way to do it.  Who wouldn't want to go back to the method that has worked for so long.

I've known of one very successful teacher who started with long division for all questions.  Only when the pupils had thoroughly mastered the process were they allowed to shorten it.

Of course, no one would use it in 'real life'; they'd use a calculator; so why do we torture generations of pupils making them do it. 

Answer: Some politician thought 'I had to suffer it when I was at school and it didn't do me any harm, so let's stick it in the National Curriculum and let the current generation of school kids suffer it too.'

Unfortunately, if you are reading this and you are one of those kids, sorry but you have no choice but to try and master it  sad.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division.html  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#10 2011-02-14 07:38:50

dsurrao

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, here is an application that can help you learn long division.

Last edited by dsurrao (2011-02-14 07:39:35)

#11 2011-02-14 07:47:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi dsurrao;

I think it is fine that it is free but the limitation of 25 canned problems could be extended. How about designing it to understand the algorithm for long division instead of just being a problem collection. Then it could do an infinite amount of them.

Welcome to the forum!

#12 2011-02-24 08:40:21

juliekilkenny

You all have such great answers so I am going to ask for your help too. Not sure if it's considered long division. My 3rd grader just can't get division. He's not understanding how to "fill in the blank". For example  6√288     or   63÷9=  He's not getting it.  I am not sure how to explain it to him so he gets it.  I have printed a multiplication table for him to use. He gets math usually so I am not sure how else to help him.  I just saved "mathisfun.com" to my favorites bar and I am going to have him do the math trainer and see if that helps him.  I am afraid if he doesn't get this, when the class gets to remainders he's going to be really lost.  Can you please give me some tips that will help him understand it easier?

Thanks for your wisdom! smile

#13 2011-02-24 08:52:15

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi juliekilkenny;

Welcome to the forum! Please have him review what is here at

http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division3.html

Do it with him. If he is still having problems perhaps he could sign up here and get personal attention. We have teachers here.

Board footer