Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-01 15:10:26

Reuel

Kirchhoff's Law - Differential Equation

I have never taken physics and I do not understand what the question is asking.

"Kirchoff's Law states that a simple circuit containing a resistor of R ohms and an inductor of L Henrys in series with a source of electromotive force that supplies a voltage E(t) volts at time t satisfies

where I is the current measured in amperes.

Consider a circuit with L = 6 Henrys, R = 6 ohms, and a battery supplying a constant 12 volts. If I = 0 at t = 0, find I at time t."

I have no idea what most of that means. Do I need to understand physics to be able to solve the problem? Or is it like that raindrop problem from a week or so back that implies physics but does not require a knowledge of it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Reuel (2011-02-02 01:08:44)

#2 2011-02-01 15:17:25

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Kirchhoff's Law - Differential Equation

Hi Reuel;

You will not need any electronics knowledge to solve the problem. When in that form it is a math problem. Just solve the DE.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-02-02 00:21:18

Reuel

Okay, well, a couple of questions. First, do you enter all of the values for the constants before or after the differential equation has been solved? Second, there are two functions of time: amperes, I(t), and the electromotive force that provides voltage 12.

Here is my effort in setting it up in a way I think may be best. Is this in the right direction or am I mistaken?

Solving for the conditions given,

Is that the end of the problem? I am not sure what is meant by "find I and t" if it means more than finding I as a function of t.

Thanks.

#4 2011-02-02 00:44:59

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Reule;

That is what I have too. I used separation of variables though. I think the problem is done

#5 2011-02-02 00:49:32

Bob
Administrator

hi Reule,

Me too.  I think the last words should be "find I at time t".

Next bit under review while I consult a scientist.

Aarhh I think I get it.  Apologies to any physicists reading this.  The inductor offers reistance to the currect of electricity flowing through it.  At the start t = 0 so I = 0.  No change of current.  As time passes the inductor stores energy. (Think of it as being like rolling a rock up a hill.  When you stop rolling you still have to hold the rock against tumbling down again.)  As t tends to infinity (like I'm slowing down my rate of assent) all that is needed is to overcome the resistor and that (by ohms law) leads to a current of 2 amps.  But it must be maintained or the inductor lets go its stored energy.  So your equation describes this perfectly.  Hurrah for mathematicians!

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-02-02 01:15:13)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2011-02-02 01:06:28

Reuel

bobbmy - Thanks for your help! I have a few other "tricky" problems I'll post but I think I am getting the hang of it. I am still trying to learn Newton's Law of Cooling, which I have a couple of specific examples to use.

bob - ahhh... Yes, at time t. My instructor does make a lot of typos. This was just a suggested practice sheet - the worst is when they appear on exams. And thanks, too, for the physics explanation! That puts it into context.

#7 2011-02-02 01:16:03

Bob
Administrator

watch out I've amended what I posted just now!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#8 2011-02-02 01:19:10

Reuel

I caught it. Thanks so much. smile

#9 2011-02-02 01:26:01

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Reuel;

Just post what you have along with the work. I would say that you are getting it.

Board footer