Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-09 15:32:58

MarvinRayBurns

Be the first to describe a new constant or maybe something better.

It is likely that almost all mathematics has only been around at most 10,000 years.
At 25 years per generation that comes to only 400 generations of mathematicians, and that's assuming there existed mathematicians in every generation. So humanity has only had at most 400 chances to discover all there is to know about math. So the probability is approximately 1/400 that you potentially could discover something nobody else has. Compared to the lottery those are great odds!
I suggest that you spend a few minutes every day playing with math. Even if you don’t discover anything really new, you will be smarter because of it.
To see what happened as I was playing with math, look up “MRB constant” in almost any search engine.
Marvin Ray Burns
I'm the original investigator of the MRB constant.

Last edited by MarvinRayBurns (2011-01-09 15:36:44)

#2 2011-01-09 17:05:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Be the first to describe a new constant or maybe something better.

Hi MarvinRayBurns;

Welcome to the forum! I have heard of you and of course Simon. I use his inverter quite often. I also found your constant at the OEIS, I am a small contributor there. I have not done any work on your constant but found your notebook at the Wolframs demonstrations page. Also found your .mws at mapleprimes. Honored to meet you!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer