Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#176 2012-04-10 09:03:05

Bob
Administrator

Re: Help Me With Gcse Maths

hi Mandy,

(i)  It will take a while for me to make the list useful to you. 

The exam board has put it in a table along with the higher grade list and some notes about each topic. 

I do not think you will find it easy to follow like that. 

Give me a day and I will make a list that will be easier to follow.

(ii) Making the flash cards larger.

You can make them any size you want like this:

Go to the post with the flash cards.  #162.

Click on the picture so you just see that on your screen.

Right click with your mouse and save picture as showimage.gif  You can change the name but make sure it ends .gif

You can now insert that picture into a program like WORD.  (Have you got WORD?)

You start a WORD document, Insert, browse for the showimage.gif, and click Insert. 

Once it is in your document you can make it bigger by dragging the corners.  Then you can print it.

Tell me if this works.

(iii) dyslexia

Which of the following affects you?

difficulty with reading

require coloured paper to make reading easier

require a coloured overlay to make reading easier

require large print to make reading easier

you write illegibly so people cannot read what you have written

you spell so badly that words may be mistaken

Is there anything else?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#177 2012-04-10 09:05:55

mandy jane

hi bob bundy hope you get your computer fix soon? will look at message tomorrow when i get in from work at 12.00 noon ok sleep well everyone?

#178 2012-04-10 10:09:36

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi MJ

I will upload some pictures telling you how to save and enlarge bob's picture.

If you have any trouble with the steps feel free to post! smile

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#179 2012-04-10 19:26:14

Bob
Administrator

hi Stefy,

That's really helpful, thanks.  smile

Mandy:  I need to know if this has worked for you and that you have managed to print the first 4 cards.  No point making any more until we know it is working for you.

The exam topic list is taking shape.  The way the board has constructed it means I have to separate out the higher level topics, one line at a time.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

It's a long list!  eeekkk!  And it is written in 'teacher speak' so it may be a bit frightening when you see it.  But, at least you'll know what you've got to study, and can make a proper plan.  At a guess, I'd say it is about one topic per week.  To give you an idea what that means, I'm counting 'understanding same fractions' as one topic.

I'm not sure if I'll get another chance to log in until this evening.  Bye for now.  wave

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#180 2012-04-10 19:28:48

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi bob

Are you going to post the exam topics here? When you do,I can maybe help you make a timetable you were talking about.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#181 2012-04-10 19:31:48

Bob
Administrator

Yes I will.

And yes you can.  That would be great!

Bob

#182 2012-04-10 19:33:11

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Ok,cool! See you later bob! Have a nice day. smile

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2012-04-10 19:35:23)

#183 2012-04-10 19:35:23

Bob
Administrator

I'm 'popping into' school to see if the tower is available; in which case I'll fix up the new mirrorball.  If not I'll try to sort out the router problem.

Bob

#184 2012-04-10 19:37:03

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Thought so. I am going to go now as well. They have to do something on my nail.

#185 2012-04-11 02:59:54

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi MJ

If you have any trouble with saving bob's picture look at post #178. smile

#186 2012-04-11 04:00:22

mandy jane

Hi all Yes the flash cardes work fine i can make them the size i what? so can you send me some flash cards please? and in answer to dyslexia
Diffculty with reading = YES

Require coloured paper to make reading easier = YES

Require a coloured overley to make reading easier = YES

Require large print to make reading easier =YES

You write illegibly so people cannot read what you have put = Sometimes

You spell so badly that words may be mistaken = YES

Is there any anything else Yes i fined hearing a problum? send me a message back and let me have an answer please?

#187 2012-04-11 04:40:03

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy,

I'm glad the flash cards all work for you.  What I have in mind is this:

When you have a full set of cards in your hand you can sort them out into piles that have the same fraction.  Then we can learn some more about same fractions.

And it will fit in nicely when we start to look at percentages and decimals.

So I'll make the rest of the cards.  It may not be until the end of the week; sorry.

dyslexia.

The reason I asked is that exam boards have to allow candidates with 'special needs' to have the help they need.  Obviously, they cannot tell you the answers but they can print special papers that are larger in size, printed on coloured paper etc etc.  You can even get a reader ( a person who reads the questions to you ) and a scribe ( a person who re-writes your answers neatly and with no spelling mistakes.  These people must not help you to get the answers however!

To get this help you have to apply to the board explaining what you need and, for some things, providing evidence that you need it.  If you were still a pupil at school it would be easy as the school's learning support department would do all that for you and they would probably be the ones to act as reader or scribe.  As you are not at school, it is going to be harder to get this accepted. And harder still to get the help once it has been approved.

If you are happy for me to act for you, I will contact the board, explaining the circumstances, and see what can be arranged.  Having large print seems to be easy;  the other things may be more difficult but I thought it would be worth starting now as it may take a while to get going.  Have you got any paperwork that could be used as 'proof' of your needs?  That would help a lot.  But if not, starting now to get the evidence should help.

Let me know if you want me to go ahead and investigate.

Topic List.

This is the list I have made.  Don't worry if you don't know what some bits mean;  those of us who are helping you do know and will be able to teach you the right things.

I suggest you copy the list into a document that you can keep on your computer.  You can add comments like " I can do this!!" or "Need help with this" or "What on Earth does this mean!!!"   

Anonimnystefy wants to see the list.  Then he will help you make a timetable.  The code letters and numbers refer to the items off the exam board syllabus.  I cannot promise I haven't made a mistake editing the board's pages but it looks right to me.  (I have taught this for years so if there was something wrong, I think I'd spot it!)

(note we have been working on N2.1)

N1.1 Understand integers and place Including questions where the value to deal with arbitrarily answer to one calculation can large positive numbers.

N1.2 Add, subtract, multiply and divide any number.

N1.3 Understand and use number operations and the relationships between them, including inverse operations and hierarchy of operations.

N1.4 Approximate to a given power of 10,  up to three decimal places and one significant figure.

Nearest ten, hundred or thousand

N1.5 Order rational numbers.

N1.6 The concepts and vocabulary of factor (divisor), multiple,  common factor, highest common factor, least common multiple,  prime number and prime factor decomposition.

N1.7 The terms square, positive and negative square root, cube and cube root.
Square numbers up to 15 by15 and the cubes of 1, 2, 3, 4,

N1.8 Index notation for squares, cubes and powers of 10
Candidates should know, for example, that 1 million = 10 to the power 6

N1.9 Index laws for multiplication and division of integer powers.

N1.14 Use calculators effectively and efficiently, including statistical functions.

Candidates should know not to round off values during the intermediate steps of a calculation.

N2.1 Understand equivalent fractions, simplifying a fraction by cancelling all common factors.

N2.2 Add and subtract fractions.

N2.3 Use decimal notation and recognise that each terminating decimal is a fraction.

N2.4 Recognise that recurring decimals are exact fractions, and that some exact fractions are recurring decimals.

N2.5 Understand that ‘percentage’ means ‘number of parts per 100’ and use this to compare proportions.

N2.6 Interpret fractions, decimals, percentages as operators.

The term common denominator will not be used.
Candidates should be able to interpret percentage problems using a multiplier.

N2.7 Calculate with fractions, decimals and percentages.

Candidates should be able to use a calculator to apply the four rules to fractions and decimals in problems

Candidates should be able to calculate 1% and 10% of quantities without a calculator as a starting point.

N3.1 Use ratio notation, including reduction to its simplest form and its various links to fraction notation.

N3.2 Divide a quantity in a given ratio.

N3.3 Solve problems involving ratio and proportion, including the unitary method of solution.

N4.1 Distinguish the different roles played by letter symbols in algebra, using the correct notation.

N4.2 Distinguish in meaning between the words ‘equation’, ‘formula’, and ‘expression’

Candidates should understand the words.  Candidates should also know the meaning of the word ‘term’.

N5.1 Manipulate algebraic  expressions by collecting like terms, by multiplying a single term over a bracket, and by taking out common factors.

N5.4 Set up and solve simple linear equations.

Questions will include geometrical problems, problems set in a functional context and questions requiring a graphical solution.

N5.6 Derive a formula, substitute numbers into a formula and change the subject of a formula.

Formulae to be rearranged will need at most two operations.

N5.7 Solve linear inequalities in one variable and represent the solution set on a number line.

Candidates should know and the use the symbols >, <, (with and without smile

Candidates should know the convention of an open circle on a number line for a strict inequality and a closed circle for an included boundary.

N5.8 Use systematic trial and improvement to find approximate solutions of equations where there is no simple analytical method of solving them.

N5.9 Use algebra to support and construct arguments.

N6.1 Generate terms of a sequence using term-to-term and position-to-term definitions of the sequence.

N6.2 Use linear expressions to describe the nth term of an arithmetic sequence.

N6.3 Use the conventions for coordinates in the plane and plot points in all four quadrants, including using geometric information.

N6.4 Recognise and plot equations that correspond to straight-line graphs in the coordinate plane,  graphs including finding their gradients.

N6.11 Construct linear functions from real-life problems and plot their corresponding graphs.

N6.12 Discuss, plot and interpret graphs (which may be non-linear) modelling real situations, including statistics contexts.  For example distance-time graphs

N6.13 Generate points and plot graphs of simple quadratic functions , and use these to find approximate solutions.

Foundation tier questions will be restricted to finding the approximate value of y for a given value of x or the approximate values of x for a given value of y.

G1.1 Recall and use properties of angles at a point, angles at a point on a straight line (including right angles), perpendicular lines, and opposite angles at a vertex.

G1.2 Understand and use the angle properties of parallel and intersecting lines, triangles and quadrilaterals.

Candidates should know the meaning and properties of ‘alternate’, ‘corresponding’, ‘interior’ and ‘vertically opposite’ angles. Colloquial terms such as ‘Z angles’ should not be used.

Candidates should know the names and properties of isosceles, equilateral and scalene triangles, and also right-angled, acute-angled and obtuse-angled triangles.

G1.3 Calculate and use the sums of the interior and exterior angles of polygons.

Candidates should be able to calculate the values of the interior angle, exterior angle and angle at the centre of regular polygons.

G1.4 Recall the properties and definitions of special types of quadrilateral, including square, rectangle, parallelogram, trapezium, kite and rhombus.

G1.5 Distinguish between centre, radius, chord, diameter, circumference, tangent, arc, sector and segment.

G1.6 Recognise reflection and rotation symmetry of 2D shapes.

G1.7 Describe and transform 2D shapes using single or combined rotations, reflections, translations, or enlargements by a positive scale factor and distinguish properties that are preserved under particular transformations.

G1.8 Understand congruence and similarity.

G2.1 Use Pythagoras’ theorem.

G2.3 Justify simple geometrical properties.

G2.4 Use 2D representations of 3D shapes.

G3.1 Use and interpret maps and scale drawings.

G3.2 Understand the effect of enlargement for perimeter,  area and volume of shapes and solids.

Questions at Foundation tier, area and volume will always include a diagram.

G3.3 Interpret scales on a range of measuring instruments and recognise the inaccuracy of measurements.

G3.4 Convert measurements from one unit to another.

Metric conversions should be known.
Imperial to metric conversions will be limited to 5 miles =  8 kilometres, 4.5 litres = 1 gallon, 2.2 pounds = 1 kilogram and 1 inch = 2.5 centimetres.  (approximately = here)

G3.5 Make sensible estimates of a range of measures.

G3.6 Understand and use bearings.

G3.7 Understand and use compound measures.

Including area, volume and speed at Foundation tier. Other measures will be defined in the question.

G3.8 Measure and draw lines and angles.

G3.9 Draw triangles and other 2D shapes using a ruler and protractor.

G3.10 Use straight edge and a pair of compasses to do constructions.

Foundation tier will be restricted to perpendicular bisector and angle bisector.

G3.11 Construct loci. Foundation tier will be restricted to at most two constraints.

G4.1 Calculate perimeters and areas of shapes made from triangles and rectangles.

G4.3 Calculate circumferences and areas of circles.

G4.4 Calculate volumes of right prisms, including cylinders and of shapes made from cubes and cuboids.

G5.1 Understand and use vector notation for translations.

S1 Understand and use the statistical problem solving process which involves specifying the problem and planning; collecting data; processing and presenting the data; interpreting and discussing the results.

Including knowing and using the term ‘hypothesis’ for a general prediction which is to be tested.

S2.1 Types of data: qualitative, discrete, continuous.

Use of grouped and ungrouped data.

S2.2 Identify possible sources of bias.

S2.3 Design an experiment or survey.

An understanding of the terms ‘primary data’ and ‘secondary data’ is expected.

S2.4 Design data-collection sheets distinguishing between different types of data.

Includes observation,  controlled experiment, data  logging, questionnaires and surveys.

S2.5 Extract data from printed tables and lists.

S3.1 Design and use two-way tables for grouped and ungrouped data.

S3.2 Produce charts and diagrams for various data types.
Scatter graphs, stem-and-leaf, tally charts, pictograms, bar charts, dual bar charts, pie charts, line graphs, frequency polygons, histograms with equal class intervals.

Candidates should be able to read information from and interpret these charts and diagrams.

S3.3 Calculate median, mean,  range, mode and modal class. 
From charts, diagrams, lists and tables of data.

S4.1 Interpret a wide range of graphs and diagrams and draw conclusions.

Including median and range from a stem-and-leaf diagram.

S4.2 Look at data to find patterns and exceptions.   

For example, identifying a ‘rogue’ value from a scatter diagram.

S4.3 Recognise correlation and draw and/or use lines of best fit by eye, understanding what these represent.

Candidates will be required to recognise when correlation is weak or strong, positive or negative, but will not be asked to comment on the reliability of the data.

Candidates should understand that using a line of best fit outside the plotted range may not be valid.

S4.4 Compare distributions and make inferences.   

Comparisons of average and range.

S5.1 Understand and use the vocabulary of probability and the probability scale.

Words used will be ‘impossible’,‘very unlikely’, ‘unlikely’, ‘evens’, ‘likely’, ‘very likely’ and ‘certain’.

S5.2 Understand and use estimates or measures of probability from theoretical models (including equally likely outcomes), or from relative frequency.

Probabilities should be written as fractions, decimals or percentages. Cancelling a fraction to its simplest form may be required.

S5.3 List all outcomes for single events, and for two successive events, in a systematic way and derive related probabilities.

S5.4 Identify different mutually exclusive outcomes and know that the sum of the probabilities of all these outcomes is 1.

The phrase ‘mutually exclusive’ will not be used in the examination.

S5.7 Compare experimental data and theoretical  probabilities.

Knowledge of the term ‘relative frequency’.

S5.8 Understand that if an experiment is repeated, this may – and usually will – result in different outcomes.

Knowledge that the more trials carried out then the better the reliability of the results.

S5.9 Understand that increasing sample size generally leads to better estimates of probability and population characteristics.

And that's all!     smile

Bob

#188 2012-04-11 04:53:30

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Scroll,scroll,scroll,...(1 hour later)...scroll. Ahhh there it is the reply field.

Hi bob

The list is a little big, but I see that there are some similar topics that can be sticked together.

I just have a few question because I don't want to mess this up. That would make everything just harder.

1)What is the final date till the timetable-shortened tt-should go on?

2)Should I try to group similar topics together and go from easier to harder?

3)Is there any program you would like to recommend for mqking the tt?

4)How soon do you need it(tomorrow or the day after)?

#189 2012-04-11 04:54:06

mandy jane

HI bob bundy yes please go ahead and investigate for me about dyslexia for the exam? and yes to say i no proof that i am dyslexia ? can i get some? send me message back please?

#190 2012-04-11 05:13:33

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi mandy jane

I found a website where some parents of dyslexic children told about their and their children's experiences with GCSE exams.

Here are some things they said:

"He was having problems finishing exams in time. The school organised the appropriate tests for him, and the upshot was that he got an extra 25% time allowance in all GCSE exams."

"I have been told that SEN will work with him over the next few years and when GCSEs come he will get allowances based on'what happens in his daily education'."

Then I found a website talking about special arrangements for SATs and GCSEs. This is the site url:

Special Arrangements for SATs & GCSEs

See if that link helps you.

#191 2012-04-11 06:19:31

Bob
Administrator

hi Stefy,

Yes, it's a long list.  Sorry.  But that's what the exam board say you have got to know, so there's no choice.  It wouldn't be much help if it just said "learn lots of maths".

Have a look at

http://www.bookaxis.com/product.asp?id= … 4080&s=M94

This text book is written for the GCSE maths syllabus and the contents list is in chapter order, so it starts with the easier topics and gets gradually harder.

There are probably other books around that do a similar thing.  Google for GCSE maths foundation level.

I don't think there's such a rush to make a tt as Mandy is taking her exams in May/June 2013.  I thought at first she was going to take them this year and that would have left her little time to raise her achievement level.  The exam has these grades:

A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G.  The foundation level goes up to C.  Last year Mandy got a grade F.

She has signed up for an on-line course.  If you look back to her earlier posts this year you'll find what it is called.  (sorry I've forgotten in all the surfing for exam syllabuses)  I assume they have a course order (?).  What you could do to start with is look at how many weeks she has and how many topics, so we can see if one will fit into the other.  As for a program, I think she has MS Excel but you'd better check.  (If necessary I could post up stuff on my website for her to download.)

I got the special arrangements from the Joint Council for Qualifications site www.jcq.org.uk  It's a complicated document and I didn't think Mandy would make much sense of it.  After 37 years in the business I've got better at working out what documents like this mean but I wouldn't recommend it for the innocent!

The basic principle is that a candidate should not be disadvantaged because of a special need.  So exam boards have to make provision for needs.  But some of these allowances would give a candidate without the need a big advantage so there has to be a balance to avoid going too far the other way.  In a school there will be a 'Special Needs department' staffed by teachers who have chosen to specialise in this area.  For a pupil who has been at the school since age 11 ( and at a nearby primary school before that ) they will have a ton of paperwork documenting the pupil's needs and progress and what help the pupil usually gets in class.

But Mandy is an adult, who has decided later in her life to try and get GCSE maths.  From her last post it doesn't look like she has supporting evidence.  But the principles still apply, so I have to find a way to get her needs recognised.  I have no idea whether I can do this, but I'm well placed as (i) I'm a UK qualified teacher; (ii) I know how the exam boards work;  I can talk to the SN teachers at my school;  and I live fairly close to Mandy.

So let's just say, I'm on the case.

Tomorrow, I'm attending a funeral so I'll be off-line for a while.  But I'll try to make what progress I can.  Your code is now 'on the back burner'  meaning http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/back+burner?s=t

Bob

#192 2012-04-11 06:38:33

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi bob

The book doesn't actually help me,but I will calculate how many weeks MJ has left,approximately.I will also calculate how much time you should spend on each individual area.

The time table shouldn't be hard to make,but the problem is I don't know which areas are more troubling for her and which are less troubling.I will try to arrange the time to areas according to my common sense on which topics are herder than others,but since I will probably be working in Excel all of those things are changeable,so you can later tell me which areas you need more time on and on which less.

But what code are you talking about?

Oh,I almost forgot.I will try to figure out what I can of that file you posted,although I can't promise much.

See you tomorrow or the day after.

PS A link that might be useful:Obtaining Proof of Dyslexia dunno

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2012-04-11 06:43:10)

#193 2012-04-11 08:29:04

Bob
Administrator

hi Stefy,

Thanks for the link.  I've been searching myself for good on-line sites.  There are quite a few like 'your' one, but the bottomline is always pay up for a professional test.

I'll need to talk to some experts so I'll have to wait for the summer term to start at school.  Fortunately, there is time for this.

Code ?

Og upi gohitrf yjod piy,yjrm vpmhtsyd pm zu dofr!

Bob

#194 2012-04-11 08:33:06

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Oh,that code! That can certainly wait. smile

#195 2012-04-11 08:36:43

Bob
Administrator

hi Mandy

Sorry there's a lot of posts between Stefy and me here.  You can skip over them if you want, but please read this one.

Diffculty with reading = YES

Require coloured paper to make reading easier = YES

What colour is best for you?

Require a coloured overlay to make reading easier = YES

Again, what colour is best?

Require large print to make reading easier =YES

What is the best font size for you?

You write illegibly so people cannot read what you have put = Sometimes

You spell so badly that words may be mistaken = YES

Is there any anything else Yes i fined hearing a problum?

Bob

#196 2012-04-11 18:40:10

Bob
Administrator

Here is the second set of flash cards.

Bob

#197 2012-04-11 19:09:05

Bob
Administrator

Here is another set.

In this one I have done 2/6, 3/6, 4/6 and 5/6.

Look carefully at how much is yellow.

One of these has the same amount yellow as one half, but the picture is different from the one half in the previous set.

This shows there is more than one way of showing a fraction correctly.

So can you answer this?

How many sixths do you need to make one half?

Bob

#198 2012-04-12 02:26:40

mandy jane

Hi bob bundy mandy here. In answer to number queention in 195 it is

Require coloured paper to make reading easier = YES  What colour is best for you it is (GREEN)

Require a coloured overlay to make reading easier = YES  Again, what colour is best? (GREEN)

Require large print to make reading easier = YES  what is the best font size for you? (16)

How many sixths do you need to make one half? it is 6/6 make one half. Am I right? Send me my answer please?

#199 2012-04-12 03:08:01

mandy jane

Hi mandy here. I am doing a home study eDistance Learning this is in partner with Oxford Open Learning (ool) and no I don't think I have MS Excel on my computer? I notic Sttefy had put I live fairly close to Mandy just wonder what she meent by that? What do you meen (if necessary I could post up stuff on my website for her to download.) Is there anything any of you need to know from me then? if so just ask me ok and I will see what I can do?

#200 2012-04-12 03:29:29

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi MJ

I am not good at making graphs as bob is but,you can see below a graph representing 6/6.That doesn't look like 1/2, does it?

Board footer