Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-31 05:02:20

zonesey

Hi from Finland!

wave I am a 25-year-old guy from Finland. I'm studying telecommunications here at the Helsinki University of Technology. I used to love mathematics in high shool but then we had a falling out. After some years I have now found my burning passion for maths again. I have actually even been thinking about trying to get a PhD in math. I don't know though, maybe I'm too old and my brain is too rusty and plagued by engineering maths... It's pure maths and applied maths I really like. Do you think I should give it a try anyway? roll

#2 2010-10-31 05:14:23

LQ
Real Member

Re: Hi from Finland!

If you have a passion for it, and feel like numbers don't hurt you, then why not try it? Remember to get a rest now and then and you should be fine!

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#3 2010-10-31 05:28:31

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi zonesey;

I don't know though, maybe I'm too old and my brain is too rusty and plagued by engineering maths...

Not at all. Engineers are much maligned by physicists. But I have found engineering math and the people who do it to be rather clever and have a unique insight in problem solving. If you have a simian brain or better and a heartbeat you can do math.

It's pure maths and applied maths I really like. Do you think I should give it a try anyway?

You like both pure and applied? You are there, you have the desire.Pure and applied, that is the whole of mathematics!

Advice, as an engineer you should already know this, but just in case... Learn to program!!!!! Computers are the future of math.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2010-11-01 01:28:18

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi zonesey,

zonesey wrote:

I don't know though, maybe I'm too old

You never know, you may still be much younger!

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2010-11-01 08:32:43

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Hi Zonesey, and welcome to the forum.

A PhD can be extremely difficult, but follow your passion, you don't know where it will lead you!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2010-11-22 23:18:25

JaneFairfax

Hyvää päivää, zonesey! Tervetuloa foorumiin! wave

#7 2010-11-23 01:54:31

devrimci militan

Hi Zonesey, and welcome to the forum.(like me) smile:)

#8 2010-11-26 19:09:36

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi IsabelleR;

Welcome to the forum.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer