Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-06 04:03:47

vecksberex

Disagree with the solution for the the 5 pirates and 100 gold coins

Basically, I just disagree with the phrasing of the question which gives a different solution than the one presented.

"The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and all pirates remaining will vote for or against it."

"Oldest pirate proposes" and "all pirates remaining" gives the meaning that the proposing pirate doesn't get a vote while the rest of the pirates vote.

If it was phrased   

"The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, and all pirates will vote for or against it."

Then the solution would be true. 

I don't think anybody would make the mistake in thinking that a pirate that has been thrown overboard will still have a vote- so the word "remaining" is redundant and misleading.

Last edited by vecksberex (2010-04-06 04:36:29)

#2 2010-04-22 20:20:36

bcrazy

Re: Disagree with the solution for the the 5 pirates and 100 gold coins

It's a great problem but I too disagree with the solution- to me it is implied that all pirates, including the one making the proposal, get to vote. So when there are 2 pirates then the one making the proposal will keep all the money for himself, not give it to the other one.

This results in a split of 1:0:1:0:98

Board footer