Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-02 21:53:09

kittykat01

spelling differences in metric measurements

I enjoyed looking at the page with the alien being shown metric measures and would love show it to the children I teach.  However, the spelling of litre in english is different from the US spelling - liter.  As I wouldn't want to confuse some of the young children with spelling differences (they have enough just learning the maths!) would it be possible to do an english conversion just as there is with the US standard on the page.:)

#2 2010-01-03 14:23:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: spelling differences in metric measurements

This is a big problem for me. I get visitors from all over the world and so never know quite what to do about spelling.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2010-01-04 00:38:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: spelling differences in metric measurements

Hi kittykat01;

As I wouldn't want to confuse some of the young children with spelling differences (they have enough just learning the maths!)

Perhaps you underestimating your young children. Why not explain a little multicultural spelling to them.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer