Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-02 21:17:34

kittykat01

Hi all

Hi I'm Kay and teach maths to primary age children.  I have a special interest in children with maths learning difficulties and am currently looking into teaching and understanding children with dyscalculia:)

#2 2010-01-04 02:19:48

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Hi all

Hi kittykat01;

Hi Kay, I didn't know what that was, I had to look it up. Not to lessen the severity of those childrens suffering, I can say that math is really hard. I think we all have learning problems with it. At least I do. Math cost me a career in Biochemistry. For some reason I developed the integer disease. I thought that all problems had solutions like 1,2,3,4, 1/2, 1/3 and √2. The first time I saw scientific notation and decimals I freaked out. I couldn't grasp how some physical process could have an answer like 1.237653 of anything. Stymied me from that point on and I eventually grew to hate my favorite subject.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

Board footer