Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-19 02:16:31

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Fields' Medal

The Fields' medal is awarded by the Canadian govt. The medal is awarded before 40 years of age, once in 4 years. The medal is the equal to nobel prize.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2009-12-19 02:30:43

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Fields' Medal

ganesh wrote:

The medal is the equal to nobel prize.

One of the interesting legends was why Alfred Nobel did not include math in the nobel prize. It was said that Alfred lost his girlfriend to a mathematician and out of revenge left math out.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-12-19 03:19:10

LQ
Real Member

Re: Fields' Medal

If the mass is bound to something real it isn't just math anymore, if it isn't it's just the usual jaddah. I have still to see a calculus hard enough that wasn't more harmless then periless for the mind to see without any day to day applications. Perhaps I'm wrong. Mathematicians don't allways live very long though.

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

Board footer