Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-01 05:34:27

petkish

A brain teaser logical game, kind of "The Lady or the tiger?"

Who knows the popular logic puzzle books by Raymond M.Smullyan, may find the puzzle machine at Link is dead entertaining.
I am its author and I invite you to try it, and discuss in this forum.

Just a few words about the site - the puzzle machine generates puzzles, similar to the ones in "The Lady or the tiger?".
This kind of puzzles is quite hard to solve, so prepare to spend time and keep patience!
All the puzzles are about finding a paradox-free combination of given statements, by negating them.

Have fun.

#2 2009-12-01 06:13:43

mathsyperson

Re: A brain teaser logical game, kind of "The Lady or the tiger?"

I came across this game a few days ago, but it looks like the creator has improved it since then.
The puzzles are randomly generated, which means that they'll never run out, but also that the difficulty can vary wildly.

For example, one time I had a door that said:

- All doors are lying.
- This door is a trap.

We can deduce from the first statement that this door is a liar, and therefore by the second statement that it is safe. Room solved, without having to read any other doors.

It is fun for a while though. I think it'd be more fun if you couldn't get around a wrong answer by pressing the back button and trying again. tongue

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2010-01-13 01:06:08

petkish

Now i have added the inhabitants to the labyrinth.
Meet vampires, humans and wizards.

#4 2010-01-13 08:59:10

quittyqat

Could you post a link?

I'll be here at least once every decade.

#5 2010-01-13 09:57:43

mathsyperson

There was a link in his first post. I've just hyper'd it up.

Adding people makes things a bit more interesting! I'd say it's perhaps a little unbalanced, though.
Fighting a human or trusting a vampire only penalises your points, but if you try to fight a wizard then you lose completely. Some people might prefer to just trust everybody and risk the vampires, so that they don't have to ever deal with angry wizards.

I'm also a bit sad that you removed the detailed explanation that happens when you fall into a trap.
"Door 1 told the truth, and was safe.
Door 2 was a liar, and was a trap.
Door 3 told the truth, and was safe."
etc.

I realise that you might have done that to stop people reading which was the safe door, going back and then choosing it. But they can still cheat that way, it'd just take a little more trial and error.
I'd actually really like it if that explanation also happened when you were successful.

Edit: Oh, and I'd also really like if there was some way to come back to where you left off. Not sure how feasible that is without opening up more ways to cheat though.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2010-02-22 05:59:37

petkish

mathsyperson wrote:

Some people might prefer to just trust everybody and risk the vampires, so that they don't have to ever deal with angry wizards.

Yeah, wizards are brutal smile I have now a default choice "friend", because this one used more often.

mathsyperson wrote:

I'm also a bit sad that you removed the detailed explanation that happens when you fall into a trap.

I put it back, but only for doors (for now).

mathsyperson wrote:

Edit: Oh, and I'd also really like if there was some way to come back to where you left off. Not sure how feasible that is without opening up more ways to cheat though.

Its easy - just bookmark an open puzzle, or copy its full url! (not the answer).

Thanks for playing!

Board footer