Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-09 08:25:50

listening

Hi, I think I like number theory

I've just discovered the mathisfunforum.  Seems awesome.

I'm trained as a chemical engineer, so I've used plenty of math, especially calculus, but always as a tool.  Nevertheless I'm really interested in math for its own sake.  Right now I'm trying to learn about information theory, which has prompted a review of discrete math.

But I often find myself really trying to understand beyond the practical explanations given in text books.  Generally, things are explained in a degree of shall we say reasonable rigor, because too much precision is hard for people who just need the practical to understand.  This leaves me invariably with questions.  I wonder about the fundamental things, like what, exactly, do we mean by a "number".  What is a number!?  Similarly, one finite text brought up the idea of alphabets which are supposed to be sets of symbols.  What is a symbol!?  And how does that relate to the fact that math consists of lines of symbols!?

Does anybody else wonder about these things?

Actually, I know people do.  Having been interested in this stuff, I did come across things like Godel's incompleteness theorem (I understand the juiced version, but dare not try to understand the actual papers).  And I think some of this is dealt with in "elementary number theory".  Any leads on how to get into that.  I find myself wading through gobbledeygook.  I think somebody didn't know what elementary means! tongue

Know of any gentle, readerly intros to these ideas?  I know that this stuff is hard.  That's ok.  It would just be nice to actually have terms defined before their used, etc.  Know what I'm saying?

I'd love to talk to other people who think about these things.

#2 2009-10-10 20:19:11

soha
Real Member

Re: Hi, I think I like number theory

Hi .. listening...

Welcome to the Mathsisfun forum!!!

"Let us realize that: the privilege to work is a gift, the power to work is a blessing, the love of work is success!" smile smile
- David O. McKay

#3 2009-10-19 23:01:44

haruka-san

hello listening..
welcome to this forum.
hope you enjoy your stay here...

you say you like number theory??
LOL i love that subject. >.<

Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. ^_^

#4 2009-10-20 02:03:31

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi listening;

Welcome to the forum, I like number theory too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer