Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 19:45:21

Greaterpathmagician

Trigonometry-Area of a Traingle

Hello

I can't correctly work out these questions.

1). The owners of two neighbouring triangular blocks fo land, shown as A and B in the diagram  on the right are offered a total of $1250 000 by a property develooper for the two blocks together. If the were to accept this offer and divide the money between them in the ratio of land areas of the blocks how much would each owner recieve?

2. Note: A sqaure of side 100 meters has an area of 1 hectare)
A farmer wishes to lease one Hectare of his land to an investor who wishes to use it to grow Tasmanian Blue Gum trees. The investor intends harvesting these fast growing trees and selling the wood to a paper making company as woodchip. The farmer. for his part is simply has to fence off suitable land for the investor to use. Rahter than having to use new fencing around the whole area the farmer chooses a triangular site that allows exsisting fencing to be used on two sides ( AB and AC in the diagram). The farmer measures the distance AB as 173 m and measures <CAB as 40 º. He wishes to locate point C so that ABC will have an area of one Hectare. He asks you to calculate the lengh of AC for him. Calculate the length, roudning your answer up to the next whole metre.

Help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

(I'll add the pictures of the diagrams in just a few moments)

Last edited by Greaterpathmagician (2009-09-12 21:43:59)

#2 2009-09-12 22:22:11

Greaterpathmagician

Re: Trigonometry-Area of a Traingle

Here are the diagrams

#3 2009-09-13 00:09:47

integer

Greaterpathmagician wrote:

Hello

I can't correctly work out these questions.

1). The owners of two neighbouring triangular blocks fo land, shown as A and B in the diagram  on the right are offered a total of $1250 000 by a property develooper for the two blocks together. If the were to accept this offer and divide the money between them in the ratio of land areas of the blocks how much would each owner recieve?

2. Note: A sqaure of side 100 meters has an area of 1 hectare)
A farmer wishes to lease one Hectare of his land to an investor who wishes to use it to grow Tasmanian Blue Gum trees. The investor intends harvesting these fast growing trees and selling the wood to a paper making company as woodchip. The farmer. for his part is simply has to fence off suitable land for the investor to use. Rahter than having to use new fencing around the whole area the farmer chooses a triangular site that allows exsisting fencing to be used on two sides ( AB and AC in the diagram). The farmer measures the distance AB as 173 m and measures <CAB as 40 º. He wishes to locate point C so that ABC will have an area of one Hectare. He asks you to calculate the lengh of AC for him. Calculate the length, roudning your answer up to the next whole metre.

Help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

(I'll add the pictures of the diagrams in just a few moments)

926.546 + 1526.225 = 2452.771
37.778% + 62.225% = 100%

OwnerA would receive $472,193.49
OwnerB would receive $777,806.51

-----------------------------------------

for question B use similar form:

#4 2009-09-13 03:03:38

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Greaterpathmagician,

There seems to be an error in the second diagram's measurements.

EDIT: Actually, I was in error, as Bobby points out in the next post. Sorry about that, Greaterpathmagician and integer! <blush> I'll leave this post here in case it might help others not to make the same mistake.

1. If the lengths of the sides are correct, triangle A's 24° angle should be approx 9.8° and triangle B's 38° angle should be approx 25.1°.

2. If the angles are correct, there is an error in at least one side length for both triangles.

Too much information appears to be given. The only measurements necessary for each triangle in Q1 is either:
(a) one side and one angle, or
(b) two sides.

Maybe that is why you're having trouble solving Q1.

These errors affect integer's calculations too.

Last edited by phrontister (2009-09-13 17:08:50)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#5 2009-09-13 05:27:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Remember those triangles have not been established to be right triangles.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2009-09-13 05:50:34

phrontister
Real Member

bobbym wrote:

Remember those triangles have not been established to be right triangles.

Oops! Thanks for picking that up, Bobby. The drawing shape tricked me, and I didn't consider that. I think this problem is now beyond my trigonometry 'skills'.

Last edited by phrontister (2009-09-13 17:37:13)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#7 2009-09-13 06:00:11

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

It caused me some problems too, I went about using SOHCAHTOA which again is only for right triangles.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#8 2009-09-13 06:08:29

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

"SOHCAHTOA"...had to look that up. I don't recall learning any trig mnemonics at school - or much else!

Board footer