Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-22 04:10:59

phrontister
Real Member

The Rich Jeweller

While researching the Archimedes' cattle problem (see thread on this forum) I came across this puzzle on the internet...

The wording is similar to that in Part A of the cattle puzzle - which I managed to solve - and so I started it. I got as far as working out the equations and some early ratios, but now I'm totally stuck.

The solution strategy is at http://nightswimming.com/math/jewel/ - but it's too advanced for me. sad

Maybe someone here might be interested in having a look at it.

Last edited by phrontister (2009-08-22 04:23:19)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#2 2009-08-22 12:47:38

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: The Rich Jeweller

Hi phrontister;

This is a hard one, I am familiar with C. Pickover's stuff. His problems are olympiad level or tougher.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-08-22 13:11:19

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

His problems are olympiad level or tougher.

Well, that sure counts me out, then! My highjump standard is about the height of a Limbo Dance stick.

Here are my workings so far (and that's where they'll have to end)...

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#4 2009-08-22 13:15:34

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Off the track a little, olympiad problems are extremely tricky. Also the older you are the longer it takes to solve them (olympians are high school students). Nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-08-22 13:15:48)

#5 2009-08-22 13:54:49

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

I'm not ashamed of not being able to do certain things because of having been born at an early age...reference to which date (just getting even further off the track!) I blurted out in my YOB puzzle post here on MIFF for the world to see. wink

That is, of course, if that YOB isn't a bogus one that just happened to fit the puzzle nicely and at the same time protected my real YOB for the sake of internet anonimity.:)

#6 2009-08-22 14:10:16

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Typically I work on about 10-15 probs per day. I might get one. So if I want to solve more problems then it is clear, I have to work on more problems.roflol

To protect your anonymity I have forgotten that reference. What I was getting at is that the younger you are the better, like speed chess for instance. Your mind works quicker when you are younger, some people say it's because you have less to analyze. That is just being mean.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-08-22 14:15:04)

#7 2009-08-22 14:28:04

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Typically I work on about 10-15 probs per day.

Yes...I wondered if you ever slept! That is, other than your using "the method of sleeping while nodding your head and with eyes open."

I hadn't really thought much about brain speed slowing down with age until I saw it happen to my mother, who'd always been a very quick, sharp and competitive word-game player. In her later years she had to admit defeat and ask for us to slow down in games where speed was a factor.:(

#8 2009-08-22 14:34:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

No, I don't need much sleep.

That is, other than your using "the method of sleeping while nodding your head and with eyes open.

I slept more when I was working.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-08-22 14:55:16)

#9 2009-08-25 03:07:59

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

I slept more when I was working.

I think that's called "sleeping on the job". So you were a professional sleep-deprivation volunteer, then?

My daughter volunteered for a paid S-D study some time ago and was at her most lucid when she should have been at her sleepiest. She started and finished a reasonably-serious cross-number puzzle (but nowhere near as tough as Little Pigley) to help her stay awake - much to the amazement of the study team. smile

She hasn't managed to do another one since (actually, that's not fair: they're not really her thing...she just wanted the mental stimulus from the diversion of doing something different from the norm).

Last edited by phrontister (2009-08-25 11:14:17)

#10 2009-08-25 04:27:31

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

phrontister wrote:

I think that's called "sleeping on the job". So you were a professional sleep-deprivation volunteer, then?

roflol

No, I never did that. People in labcoats scare me.

Board footer