Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-27 20:02:21

thinkdesigns

will tehre ever be a single particle that makes EVERYTHING

will we ever get to the point where we can get a single particle from anything, will there ever be a basis at which everything can be made, or will it just keep getting smaller, if we do we will have gotten to the smallest possible thing, that happens to also be inside a black hole THE SINGULARITY. or will it just get so small we just get to energy that is bound together by gravity. it seems to make sense to me, everything being energy bound together by gravity over itself, because this energy is sooooo great the gravity can hold it together. i kinda think this is basically the string theory, except theirs is in a string, and hell, why not!

#2 2005-07-27 21:02:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: will tehre ever be a single particle that makes EVERYTHING

I believe there are no particles. There are only relationships.

The Universe is made of relationships.

Our brains like to say "A" is separated from "B", but really there is only the separation.

Just a theory of mine ... but I think it deserves thought.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2005-07-27 22:13:27

thinkdesigns

yes, but these A's and B's are our particles, it is just a difference perspection

#4 2005-07-28 10:38:19

MathsIsFun
Administrator

In the beginning there was no information, then one bit formed randomly from the void, then another, and another. The bits interacted and out of the order, chaos was formed.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2005-07-28 16:36:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

thinkdesigns wrote:

......or will it just keep getting smaller, if we do we will have gotten to the smallest possible thing,.....

Atoms were considered to be the building blocks, then the subatomic particles were discovered....and now, it is said that the subatomic particles like neutrons, protons, electorns etc are made up of quarks;
but I am not sure whether that is true for neutrinos, mesons, muons, positrons etc. roll

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6 2005-07-28 21:11:24

insomnia
Real Member

Quarks hold the protons and neutrons together with the electrons wizzing (scientific term) around the outside in their orbits.

We have to get Zach back. He will put this matter to rest. He will also probably insult us all. I don't know how he knows all this stuff and isn't good at science (he is, but not as good as me), however he will probably get a higher grade then me as I didn't do my coursework very well. I was top of the year (year 11) with my modules and mocks in science (GCSE).

Just 27 days until we get our GCSE results.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#7 2005-07-28 21:13:48

insomnia
Real Member

If you believe in dark matter, then this might me the *particle* that holds the universe together. I say *particle* as I don't remember the actual scientific term for it.

Read Philip Pullmans "Dark Materials". There are 3 books and they go through Dark Matter and everything. Don't how much is based in actual science, but it's a very good read.

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#8 2005-07-31 18:58:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

But before that read 'A Brief Histroy of Time' by Stephen Hawking smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2005-07-31 19:44:21

MathsIsFun
Administrator

insomnia wrote:

Just 27 days until we get our GCSE results.

Gott my fingers crossed for you (and it is hard to type with fingers ccrossed)

#10 2005-07-31 21:10:35

insomnia
Real Member

yes it is depending on how many you got crossed!!

Board footer