Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 04:23:27

momofmathkid

Figuring out area

My daughter is having trouble with this math problem for school.  I am stumped, too, and cannot figure out how to help her.  Here it is: 

Sue is watching her Uncle George lay down sod in Caver Park.  He must cover an area of 40 feet square, but he wants to leave a square in the center of the lawn, equaling one fourth of the total area.  Sue gets to plant that central area with marigolds, her favorite flowers.  The sod that Uncle George is laying down comes in widths of 2 feet. If he starts unrolling the sod at one corner of the square and continues unrolling it around the edge, working his way to the center, how many trips around the square will he make with the sod?

This is due tomorrow, so any help that you can offer today (Mon.) would be greatly appreciated.

Mom of Math Kid  smilebig_smile

#2 2009-05-25 06:23:47

integer

Re: Figuring out area

momofmathkid wrote:

My daughter is having trouble with this math problem for school.  I am stumped, too, and cannot figure out how to help her.  Here it is: 

Sue is watching her Uncle George lay down sod in Caver Park.  He must cover an area of 40 feet square, but he wants to leave a square in the center of the lawn, equaling one fourth of the total area.  Sue gets to plant that central area with marigolds, her favorite flowers.  The sod that Uncle George is laying down comes in widths of 2 feet. If he starts unrolling the sod at one corner of the square and continues unrolling it around the edge, working his way to the center, how many trips around the square will he make with the sod?

This is due tomorrow, so any help that you can offer today (Mon.) would be greatly appreciated.

Mom of Math Kid  smilebig_smile

40 feet square = 40x40 = 1600 square feet

1/4 of 1600 = 400

The marigold patch will be 20 feet by 20 feet.

A line through the middle, perpendiculart to a side, will be 10 feet of sod, 20 feet of marigolds and 10 feet of sod.

The sod is 2 feet in width, therefore to cover the 10 foot area of sod will require 5 passes.

If you make a sketch, and layout or draw the strips of sod, it will be very clear.

#3 2009-05-25 06:40:40

momofmathkid

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo much

#4 2009-05-25 06:44:56

momofmathkid

Thanks

Board footer