Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-14 15:54:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

About Mathematics

Here is a small page about Mathematics ... waddya think about it?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2009-03-14 18:54:54

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: About Mathematics

That's a brief and nicely written article on Mathematics.
Yes, Mathematics is universal, and can be used effectively for communication.
I have read that SETI uses binary code for sending signals, which could be deciphered by any intelligent form of life, elsewhere in the universe.
What could be added to the page (in my opinion) is
1. Mathematics is the purest form of logic, and requires only logical thinking.
2. Most of higher Mathematics is based on a plank of established theorems, and certain axioms.
3. The mathematical proofs are most rigorous. They are most demanding, and require the highest degree of expertise. The Fermat's Last Theorem can be cited as an illustration.
4. Mathematics has wide applications in Physics, Chemistry and most of the other sicences. The major discoveries and inventions, the major theories and applications would never be possible without Mathematics.
5. The biggest role of Mathematics is in both Information Technology and Communication. These would have been non-esistent if there were no developments in Mathematics over the centuries.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2009-03-15 16:53:09

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks ganesh, I might include some of those words if you don't mind.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2009-03-15 19:30:04

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

That was the intention, MathsIsFun! But I need not be credited for the little contribution! The fact that my words figure in the page in itself is a pleasure.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer