Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-14 01:42:24

JaneFairfax

Why Is My Thread Not On Top???

I posted some new posts in my Exercises II thread:

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=8520

WHY IS IT NOT SHOWING AT THE TOP OF THE THREAD?? mad

#2 2009-03-14 02:05:08

mathsyperson

Re: Why Is My Thread Not On Top???

In the Exercises board, topics are sorted in reverse order of creation.

I think the intention was for MathsIsFun to create topics such that they would be in alphabetical order and stay like that, so then it would be easy to search for questions on a desired topic.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2009-03-14 02:12:16

JaneFairfax

But that’s stupid, isn’t it? Just plain stupid. Absolutely stupid. neutral

That means every time I have add a new post to an old thread in the Exercises section, I’ll have to start a new thread informing everyone that I have added a post in that thread, since the thread won’t be bumped to the top and some people may miss my new post.

And the fact that Ganesh keeps creating new threads there and bumping other threads down the list just makes things worse. swear

#4 2009-03-14 04:25:01

lightning
Real Member

Well, ganesh has really good ideas, I'm not taking sides or anything but If you post a new thread it bumps everyones elses threads down the list.

JaneFairfax wrote:

I’ll have to start a new thread informing everyone that I have added a post in that thread, since the thread won’t be bumped to the top and some people may miss my new post.

Do you really need to add new threads every time?

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#5 2009-03-14 05:12:09

JaneFairfax

lightning wrote:

If you post a new thread it bumps everyone’s elses threads down the list.

That is what Ganesh has been doing in the Exercises section recently – starting all those stupid threads instead of re-using already started threads! swear

#6 2009-03-14 06:53:29

Devantè
Real Member

Well, look at my threads. They're over two years old and right at the back. tongue

If you really want to, I suppose the section could be organised a little differently. Perhaps the page numbers should be ordered alphabetically, not numerically. Or perhaps a drop-down list for users to select? Or maybe an implementation in the site itself to promote the use of your exercises.

Whatever you wish, just ask. I'm sure it wasn't Ganesh's intention to draw attention away from your work.

#7 2009-03-14 07:52:42

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

JaneFairfax wrote:

And the fact that Ganesh keeps creating new threads there and bumping other threads down the list just makes things worse. swear

JaneFairfax wrote:

That is what Ganesh has been doing in the Exercises section recently – starting all those stupid threads instead of re-using already started threads! swear

Why am I being dragged into a controversy, JaneFairfax?
You have no business whatsoever to comment on the quality of my posts. Why don't you simply mind your own business?
What I do in the forum is my problem, and the Administrator and other Moderators are there to correct me, if I am wrong.
Learn to be polite and well-mannered. You have done a great deal of damage already and this should end at some point.   
Mend your ways....You have been given enough opportunities. I am sure none would tolerate any more of your stupidity and boorish nature.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#8 2009-03-14 08:13:09

JaneFairfax

You take a look at the screenshot below. Don’t you thnk some of the threads could have been merged in one thread?

Besides you only post exercises for kids. That’s fine, but why do you need so many of them? What about university-level exercises? I have started posting a few of these, but when you swamp the section with your threads for kids, it is not easy for people who are actually looking for university-level exercises to spot my threads. neutral

#9 2009-03-14 08:23:51

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

That's a valid point. But the way you expressed your opinion was certain not acceptable.
I shall add to the existing threads, and change the titles alone. That way, the posts that follow would always be ahead.
I am sure you don't call boys and girls in the age groups of 14-17 'kids'. Further, I think you haven't seen the posts meant for students at University level posted by me. You may check the 'Exercises' board for ascertaining the facts.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#10 2009-03-14 09:47:25

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes, all it needed was to raise the point.

When we first started the 'Exercises' section we created a list of subjects, and put them in 'Topic Start' order so they would sort properly (alphabetical sorting is not an option).

But it has now grown to where that no longer makes sense, so I will change it to 'Last Post' order.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#11 2009-03-14 10:39:01

JaneFairfax

Thank you, MathsIsFun. It does look better now. smile

#12 2009-03-14 22:18:19

Devantè
Real Member

*raises Basic Algebra flag* smile

sad

#13 2009-03-15 10:21:52

Ricky

JaneFairfax wrote:

Do you act like this in person?  When working on a homework assignment with friends, if they make a mistake do you say things similar to what you posted above?  I really hope not.  And assuming that's the case, why the heck would you think that is appropriate behavior here?

I'm not going to ask you to try to control yourself again because I know you won't.  We try to maintain a level of decency here to make this forum enjoyable to all who post.  We've given you a lot of slack in this respect, and I'm starting to think too much slack.

If we (Mathsisfun) have to choose between having an enjoyable forum and having you as a member Jane... please don't force us (Mathsisfun) to make that choice.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#14 2009-03-15 21:59:52

JaneFairfax

What homework? I wasn’t doing any homework for anyone. I was merely wondering why adding a new post to an old thread in that section didn’t bump the thread to the top. I wasn’t aware of the original purpose of that section. But MathIsFun has already explained what the original purpose was, and fixed the problem as well. I therefore see no reason at all to bring up an issue that has already been resolved. mad

#15 2009-03-15 22:32:36

Ricky

JaneFairfax wrote:

What homework?

I was making a parallel to your interactions with people in person rather than across the internet.  You're stupid for not getting that.

But MathIsFun has already explained what the original purpose was, and fixed the problem as well. I therefore see no reason at all to bring up an issue that has already been resolved.

Only a stupid person would think my reply was about the issue.  In reality, my post was about how you handled the issue.  Stupid stupid stupid.

Do you see my point?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#16 2009-03-15 22:43:09

JaneFairfax

Since MathsIsFun rectified the problem without making any comments on whatever it was I did, why should you do so after the issue has been resolved? Is there any reason why you wish to continue the mudslinging? neutral

#17 2009-03-15 23:30:44

Ricky

Since MathsIsFun rectified the problem without making any comments on whatever it was I did, why should you do so after the issue has been resolved?

My issue is not the same as your issue.  My issue is with how you handled your issue.  While related, they are two entirely different things.  As far as I'm concerned, my issue is not resolved.

Because I need to know that you understand what you did was rude, insulting, and downright wrong.  If you don't know that, then your behavior will continue, as it has been for the past n months.

Edited to add: If this was a one time incident, I wouldn't have posted anything at all.  But you seem to do this every week to a different member.  And from what I've seen, it's been getting worse overtime.  It needs to stop.

Board footer