Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-13 06:21:01

bossk171

Pen Competition

I'm currently in a competition with a guy I work with, who can come up with the coolest pen. He has two pens, one that extends and one that can write upside down and in space and stuff. All I have is a pen that looks fancy, but doesn't do anything cool.

So HELP! It can be homemade or bought. I need some ideas, I can't lose this. This is one of the smartest forums on the web, so I know that you will figure something out. I work in the tool department at a major retailer, so tool themed might be neat, but isn't imperative.

I'm willing to spend a little bit of money to win, but please don't come up with some multi-million dollar pen, that's not really realistic. Also, nothing that will get me fired.

I'm counting on you to help save my pride.

Thanks.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#2 2008-11-13 08:15:51

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Pen Competition

What you want is Sonic Screwdriver (it also writes): http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/8cff/

Or the Crayola pen: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/supplies/8ed0/

Or the LightTalk II (but I don't think it writes): http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/81ff/

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-11-13 08:23:43

bossk171

Great suggestions.

While I myself am a huge Doctor Who fan, I'm also an American, no one I know would know what a sonic screwdriver is. I would think it's cool, but I couldn't win the competition.

The crayon is kinda neat.

The LightTalk II is THE COOLEST THING EVER! Wow! A little pricey, but totally worth it. My only hesitation is if it's not a pen, it won't count towards my competition. Also, I wonder if it really works that well. Does anyone know?

Great finds, please, anyone else, keep them coming!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who can use induction.

#4 2008-11-13 18:13:28

Ricky

This is a math forum, I don't think talk about pens should be allowed.

Pencils will destroy you all!

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-11-14 08:37:13

mathsyperson

I can't think of any suggestions better than MathsIsFun's, but I want to throw in that normal biros will write in space. People thought they wouldn't because they don't write upside-down, but that's working against gravity instead of just without it.

Now I think about it, I once had a pen that had a USB stick on the end of it. It wasn't refillable though, so once it ran out it was a lot less useful.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2008-11-14 14:25:05

bossk171

My friend found this:  http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00110&dept_id=015&cat_id=041

It's in the mail. I'm afraid that once I get it, me competitor will top it, so more suggestions are certainly welcome.

I can't find evidence anywhere that Math is Fun's LED pen is actually a pen, so I haven't ordered it yet.

And I'm sorry Ricky, while pencils are certainly preferable in math (and they can write upside down) in sales pens are supreme. Any super awesome pencil suggestions are of course welcome though.

Board footer